‘How I Met Your Mother” Barney Stinson: The ‘Bro Code’ Phenomenon --
By Riza Ornos | April 2, 2014 8:00 PM EST
After almost a decade of legen-wait-for-it-dary friendship, "How I Met Your Mother" wrapped up its ninth season, with an epic twist in the end. Millions of fans from around the world said goodbye to Ted Mosby, Marshall Eriksen, Lily Aldrin and Robin Scherbatsky. The HIMYM finale marked the end of an era. However, the "Bro Code" stays on.
The "Bro Code" is a collection of rules or guidelines to live by between bros. Based on a popular culture, the book contains a long list of male etiquettes to follow, which has been popularised by Neil Patrick Harris, who played the hugely popular character of Barney in "How I Met Your Mother."
Remember "bros before hos?" Yes, that is coined in the same show that made "dibs," "wingman,"Man Laws" and "self five" popular. Written by the show's creator, Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Matt Kuhn, the "Bro Code" is published by Simon & Schuster that covers 150 rules written in articles on what every "bros" should do or shouldn't do.
The popular book also features a glossary of terms, definition of a bro, history of the code, amendments, violations, and approved punishments. The book, first mentioned in the 2005 episode "The Goat," features each of Barney's play to score a woman.
Also known as "The Playbook," the "Bro Code" features set rules for male friends which were supposedly written by Barnabus Stinson in Colonial times. Based on the book, Barnabus wrote it because the famous bros George Washington and Benjamin Franklin are too busy to write it themselves.
Here are some of rules in the "Bro Code."
1. "When interrogated by a girlfriend about a bachelor party, a Bro shall offer nothing more than an uninterested 'It was OK.'"
2. "Bros before hos."
3. "A Bro doesn't let another Bro get a tattoo, particularly a tattoo of a girl's name."
4. "If a Bro gets a dog, it must be at least as tall as his knee when full-grown."
5. "Whether he cares about sports or not, a Bro cares about sports."
6. "A Bro never wears pink. Even in Europe."
7. "A Bro shall not sleep with another Bro's sister."
8. "A Bro shall seek no revenge if he passes out around his Bros and wakes up to find marker all over his face."
9. "A Bro must always reciprocate a round of drinks among Bros."
10. "Bros do not share dessert."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More