‘How I Met Your Mother” Barney Stinson: The ‘Bro Code’ Phenomenon --
By Riza Ornos | April 2, 2014 8:00 PM EST
After almost a decade of legen-wait-for-it-dary friendship, "How I Met Your Mother" wrapped up its ninth season, with an epic twist in the end. Millions of fans from around the world said goodbye to Ted Mosby, Marshall Eriksen, Lily Aldrin and Robin Scherbatsky. The HIMYM finale marked the end of an era. However, the "Bro Code" stays on.
The "Bro Code" is a collection of rules or guidelines to live by between bros. Based on a popular culture, the book contains a long list of male etiquettes to follow, which has been popularised by Neil Patrick Harris, who played the hugely popular character of Barney in "How I Met Your Mother."
Remember "bros before hos?" Yes, that is coined in the same show that made "dibs," "wingman,"Man Laws" and "self five" popular. Written by the show's creator, Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Matt Kuhn, the "Bro Code" is published by Simon & Schuster that covers 150 rules written in articles on what every "bros" should do or shouldn't do.
The popular book also features a glossary of terms, definition of a bro, history of the code, amendments, violations, and approved punishments. The book, first mentioned in the 2005 episode "The Goat," features each of Barney's play to score a woman.
Also known as "The Playbook," the "Bro Code" features set rules for male friends which were supposedly written by Barnabus Stinson in Colonial times. Based on the book, Barnabus wrote it because the famous bros George Washington and Benjamin Franklin are too busy to write it themselves.
Here are some of rules in the "Bro Code."
1. "When interrogated by a girlfriend about a bachelor party, a Bro shall offer nothing more than an uninterested 'It was OK.'"
2. "Bros before hos."
3. "A Bro doesn't let another Bro get a tattoo, particularly a tattoo of a girl's name."
4. "If a Bro gets a dog, it must be at least as tall as his knee when full-grown."
5. "Whether he cares about sports or not, a Bro cares about sports."
6. "A Bro never wears pink. Even in Europe."
7. "A Bro shall not sleep with another Bro's sister."
8. "A Bro shall seek no revenge if he passes out around his Bros and wakes up to find marker all over his face."
9. "A Bro must always reciprocate a round of drinks among Bros."
10. "Bros do not share dessert."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales