Amazon Seizes Right to Television Series '24' From Netflix; Deal Starts Today
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 2, 2014 7:30 PM EST
With the recent rumors of a new 'TV - streaming device' from Amazon doing the rounds; we now have one other news, Amazon will be the new streaming home for the popular thriller series "24."
Amazon announced that the action thriller series "24" starring Kiefer Sutherland is now available for streaming to Amazon's "Prime Instant Video" customers.
This announcement comes after Netflix disclosed that their right to the series "24" expires on April 1.
For the ones unfamiliar with the series "24," it is an American television series produced by the Fox network, starring Kiefer Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit agent Jack Bauer.
The highlight of the series is that each 24-episode season covers "24 hours" in the life of Bauer, using the 'real time' method of narration.
This series became widely popular irrespective of age groups and even now it is touted to be one of the best action thriller series ever made.
Amazon is also providing access to 'Redemption', the television film based on the series "24." In addition, the company has sole rights to SVoD service (subscription video on demand) to offer the series "24: Live Another Day" later this year, this particular series is set four years later to the last season (8) and this series is expected to air on 05 May 2014.
The war between Amazon and Netflix are rife in the 'streaming video content' users' market.
It is worth noting that, Netflix has a bigger customer base when compared to Amazon. But lately, Amazon has been successful in adding several major series/shows to its streaming service.
Some of Amazon's popular series with exclusive streaming rights include "Suits," "Downton Abbey," "Veronica Mars" and the others.
On the other hand, Netflix is not losing its game either, their popular list includes "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black" among the others.
After this announcement, Amazon's shares surged by nearly 2 percent to $342.15.
The unique selling point about Amazon is their free two-day shipping deal and comparatively reduced rates on the next-day shipping, claims CNet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga