Amazon Seizes Right to Television Series '24' From Netflix; Deal Starts Today
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 2, 2014 7:30 PM EST
With the recent rumors of a new 'TV - streaming device' from Amazon doing the rounds; we now have one other news, Amazon will be the new streaming home for the popular thriller series "24."
Amazon announced that the action thriller series "24" starring Kiefer Sutherland is now available for streaming to Amazon's "Prime Instant Video" customers.
This announcement comes after Netflix disclosed that their right to the series "24" expires on April 1.
For the ones unfamiliar with the series "24," it is an American television series produced by the Fox network, starring Kiefer Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit agent Jack Bauer.
The highlight of the series is that each 24-episode season covers "24 hours" in the life of Bauer, using the 'real time' method of narration.
This series became widely popular irrespective of age groups and even now it is touted to be one of the best action thriller series ever made.
Amazon is also providing access to 'Redemption', the television film based on the series "24." In addition, the company has sole rights to SVoD service (subscription video on demand) to offer the series "24: Live Another Day" later this year, this particular series is set four years later to the last season (8) and this series is expected to air on 05 May 2014.
The war between Amazon and Netflix are rife in the 'streaming video content' users' market.
It is worth noting that, Netflix has a bigger customer base when compared to Amazon. But lately, Amazon has been successful in adding several major series/shows to its streaming service.
Some of Amazon's popular series with exclusive streaming rights include "Suits," "Downton Abbey," "Veronica Mars" and the others.
On the other hand, Netflix is not losing its game either, their popular list includes "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black" among the others.
After this announcement, Amazon's shares surged by nearly 2 percent to $342.15.
The unique selling point about Amazon is their free two-day shipping deal and comparatively reduced rates on the next-day shipping, claims CNet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet