Why Easter Date Changes Every Year: Origin, History of Resurrection of Christ Holiday
By Sonalee singh | April 2, 2014 7:25 PM EST
Easter holiday is celebrated with great enthusiasm across the world. The spring holiday honours the resurrection of Jesus Christ and this year the Easter holiday is on April 20.
The date of Easter holiday changes every year, and thus it is called the movable fear. This change in date is because of lunar cycle and vernal equinox. This year the first vernal equinox is scheduled before April 20 and that is the reason why Easter will fall on this date. Easter is an important day for followers of Roman Catholicism and it comes after almost six weeks of religious observance, which is called lent. During Lent period, people fast for 40 days. Once this period is over, Easter comes, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
According the United States Naval Observatory (USNO), "The date for Easter shifts every year within the Gregorian Calendar. The Gregorian calendar is the standard international calendar for civil use. In addition, it regulates the ceremonial cycle of the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches. The current Gregorian ecclesiastical rules that determine the date of Easter trace back to 325 CE at the First Council of Nicaea convened by the Roman Emperor Constantine. At that time the Roman world used the Julian Calendar (put in place by Julius Caesar)."
Gregorian calendar replaced Julian calendar in 1582. Today, all the Christian churches follow Gregorian calendar, though there are still some Orthodox eastern churches who use Julian calendar.
The Gregorian calendar says that Easter can fall anytime between March 22 and April 25, while according to Julian calendar, Easter can be celebrated anytime between April 4 and May 8. This year, the Easter date of both Julian and Gregorian calendars is falling on the same day.
Easter also marks the advent of spring, as thus it is also called a spring holiday. On this day, kids go on Easter eggs hunts. Moreover, eggs are decorated and chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks are eaten.
Share with us your plans for Easter holiday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 7 ‘Road to Recovery' Aired On Nov. 23, 2014, A Girl In A Rehabilitation Facility Ends Up Dead In A Pool And The ‘CSI Las Vegas’ Team Investigated Her Death [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James