Why Easter Date Changes Every Year: Origin, History of Resurrection of Christ Holiday
By Sonalee singh | April 2, 2014 7:25 PM EST
Easter holiday is celebrated with great enthusiasm across the world. The spring holiday honours the resurrection of Jesus Christ and this year the Easter holiday is on April 20.
The date of Easter holiday changes every year, and thus it is called the movable fear. This change in date is because of lunar cycle and vernal equinox. This year the first vernal equinox is scheduled before April 20 and that is the reason why Easter will fall on this date. Easter is an important day for followers of Roman Catholicism and it comes after almost six weeks of religious observance, which is called lent. During Lent period, people fast for 40 days. Once this period is over, Easter comes, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
According the United States Naval Observatory (USNO), "The date for Easter shifts every year within the Gregorian Calendar. The Gregorian calendar is the standard international calendar for civil use. In addition, it regulates the ceremonial cycle of the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches. The current Gregorian ecclesiastical rules that determine the date of Easter trace back to 325 CE at the First Council of Nicaea convened by the Roman Emperor Constantine. At that time the Roman world used the Julian Calendar (put in place by Julius Caesar)."
Gregorian calendar replaced Julian calendar in 1582. Today, all the Christian churches follow Gregorian calendar, though there are still some Orthodox eastern churches who use Julian calendar.
The Gregorian calendar says that Easter can fall anytime between March 22 and April 25, while according to Julian calendar, Easter can be celebrated anytime between April 4 and May 8. This year, the Easter date of both Julian and Gregorian calendars is falling on the same day.
Easter also marks the advent of spring, as thus it is also called a spring holiday. On this day, kids go on Easter eggs hunts. Moreover, eggs are decorated and chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks are eaten.
Share with us your plans for Easter holiday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks