BSE Sensex Touches New Life High above 22,500
April 2, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The BSE Sensex hit a record high for an eighth consecutive session as potential bank licence candidates such as IDFC Ltd(IDFC.NS) surge after the Election Commission allowed the Reserve Bank of India to announce new bank licences before the outcome of general elections set to conclude next month.
A bronze bull sculpture is seen outside the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai, in August, 2013 (Reuters).
The BSE Sensex is up 0.3 percent after earlier rising to an all-time high of 22,592.10, while the Nifty gains 0.2 percent after earlier touching to a record high of 6,763.50.
IDFC Ltd surges 3.1 percent and LIC Housing Finance (LICH.NS) is up 3.3 percent
Overseas investors bought Indian shares worth 3.85 billion rupees on Tuesday, provisional exchange data show, after buying $3.3 billion worth of stocks in March.
The Election Commission on Tuesday allowed the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to announce new bank licences even ahead of general elections set to conclude next month, according to a notice in the commission's website.
The RBI had sought the commission's approval to issue new bank licences to ensure the process would not clash with the code of conduct ahead of elections, which prevents decisions that may be deemed as political from being taken by government officials or regulators.
"The commission is of the view that Reserve Bank of India may take necessary action as deemed appropriate by the Bank," election commission said regarding the central bank's query.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown