BSE Sensex Touches New Life High above 22,500
April 2, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The BSE Sensex hit a record high for an eighth consecutive session as potential bank licence candidates such as IDFC Ltd(IDFC.NS) surge after the Election Commission allowed the Reserve Bank of India to announce new bank licences before the outcome of general elections set to conclude next month.
A bronze bull sculpture is seen outside the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai, in August, 2013 (Reuters).
The BSE Sensex is up 0.3 percent after earlier rising to an all-time high of 22,592.10, while the Nifty gains 0.2 percent after earlier touching to a record high of 6,763.50.
IDFC Ltd surges 3.1 percent and LIC Housing Finance (LICH.NS) is up 3.3 percent
Overseas investors bought Indian shares worth 3.85 billion rupees on Tuesday, provisional exchange data show, after buying $3.3 billion worth of stocks in March.
The Election Commission on Tuesday allowed the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to announce new bank licences even ahead of general elections set to conclude next month, according to a notice in the commission's website.
The RBI had sought the commission's approval to issue new bank licences to ensure the process would not clash with the code of conduct ahead of elections, which prevents decisions that may be deemed as political from being taken by government officials or regulators.
"The commission is of the view that Reserve Bank of India may take necessary action as deemed appropriate by the Bank," election commission said regarding the central bank's query.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display