BSE Sensex Touches New Life High above 22,500
April 2, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The BSE Sensex hit a record high for an eighth consecutive session as potential bank licence candidates such as IDFC Ltd(IDFC.NS) surge after the Election Commission allowed the Reserve Bank of India to announce new bank licences before the outcome of general elections set to conclude next month.
A bronze bull sculpture is seen outside the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai, in August, 2013 (Reuters).
The BSE Sensex is up 0.3 percent after earlier rising to an all-time high of 22,592.10, while the Nifty gains 0.2 percent after earlier touching to a record high of 6,763.50.
IDFC Ltd surges 3.1 percent and LIC Housing Finance (LICH.NS) is up 3.3 percent
Overseas investors bought Indian shares worth 3.85 billion rupees on Tuesday, provisional exchange data show, after buying $3.3 billion worth of stocks in March.
The Election Commission on Tuesday allowed the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to announce new bank licences even ahead of general elections set to conclude next month, according to a notice in the commission's website.
The RBI had sought the commission's approval to issue new bank licences to ensure the process would not clash with the code of conduct ahead of elections, which prevents decisions that may be deemed as political from being taken by government officials or regulators.
"The commission is of the view that Reserve Bank of India may take necessary action as deemed appropriate by the Bank," election commission said regarding the central bank's query.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine