BSE Sensex Touches New Life High above 22,500
April 2, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The BSE Sensex hit a record high for an eighth consecutive session as potential bank licence candidates such as IDFC Ltd(IDFC.NS) surge after the Election Commission allowed the Reserve Bank of India to announce new bank licences before the outcome of general elections set to conclude next month.
A bronze bull sculpture is seen outside the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai, in August, 2013 (Reuters).
The BSE Sensex is up 0.3 percent after earlier rising to an all-time high of 22,592.10, while the Nifty gains 0.2 percent after earlier touching to a record high of 6,763.50.
IDFC Ltd surges 3.1 percent and LIC Housing Finance (LICH.NS) is up 3.3 percent
Overseas investors bought Indian shares worth 3.85 billion rupees on Tuesday, provisional exchange data show, after buying $3.3 billion worth of stocks in March.
The Election Commission on Tuesday allowed the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to announce new bank licences even ahead of general elections set to conclude next month, according to a notice in the commission's website.
The RBI had sought the commission's approval to issue new bank licences to ensure the process would not clash with the code of conduct ahead of elections, which prevents decisions that may be deemed as political from being taken by government officials or regulators.
"The commission is of the view that Reserve Bank of India may take necessary action as deemed appropriate by the Bank," election commission said regarding the central bank's query.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How