Lion King Cast Sings ‘Circle of Life’ on Plane: Video of Impromptu Performance Goes Viral, Attracts Criticism
By Keerthi Mohan | April 2, 2014 6:45 PM EST
The Australian cast of “The Lion King” shocked airline passengers recently when they started singing “Circle of Life”, Elton John‘s classic from the 1994 Disney movie.
Actress Brenda Mhlongo dressed as "Rafiki" performs during the press rehearsal of "El Rey Leon" ("The Lion King") musical shows in Madrid October 13, 2011.
The impromptu performance took place in a flight from Brisbane to Sydney, and it is not immediately known if the cast continued singing during the 1.5-hour journey.
The video of the performance, which shows passengers clapping along with the song, has since gone viral and it has garnered more than 2 million views since it was uploaded on April 1.
“After an amazing day at THE LION KING Brisbane season launch announcement, members of our Australian cast felt so elated they decided to sing the 'Circle of Life' prior to take off on their flight back to Sydney!” the YouTube video’s description read.
At the end of the song, a Virgin Airlines crew member is heard announcing that the “captain is quite embarrassed because his PA doesn’t compare” to their performance.
While the video has garnered a number of positive reactions from the online community with many saying they would love to travel with the “Lion King” cast, the flash mob has attracted criticism as well.
Kelly Faircloth of the Jezebel wrote in a post titled “This video of the Lion King cast singing on an airplane is my hell” that there is nothing worse than being trapped in a plane with people showcasing their talent.
She added that passengers shouldn’t have to been forced to tolerate the performance, and that it put passengers in an awkward position as they wouldn’t know how to respond.
“Maybe some of the people on this plane were hungover. Maybe someone was headed home for a funeral, or despises musical theater…The point is, it's actually pretty rude to force a bunch of people to passively participate in your naked attempt to produce a viral video to promote the Brisbane production of 'The Lion King',” she wrote.
A number of people too supported the notion that public entertainment shouldn’t be encouraged on flights.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance