‘Fifty Shades’ Jamie Dornan Stars in New TV Series ‘New Worlds’
By Riza Ornos | April 2, 2014 6:34 PM EST
Jamie Dornan of "Fifty Shades of Grey" fame has bid farewell to his leather whip to play rebel Abe Goffe in UK's Channel 4 new drama series "New Worlds," which is set in England of 1680s. The historical new drama premiered on Tuesday, April 1, and it is seen as a sequel to the 2008 drama, "The Devil's Whore."
Fifty Shades of Grey: Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan Share First Kiss on Film Set
In the new series, Dornan's character plays a young idealistic renegade who will stop at nothing to end the monarchy's tyrannical rule. The Irish actor is portraying a role which is completely opposite of serial killer, Paul Spector, in "The Fall." Dornan believes that young people of today can relate to the story of the new British period drama.
"I think the themes of "New Worlds" are all ones that young people watching the drama can relate to," says Dornan, as quoted by Mail Online. "They still feel enraged about the same injustices, although I like to think in England people now are treated with greater decency and things aren't as brutal and bloody as they were at that time."
Penned and created by Peter Flannery, the new series features a four-part-run that will cover the story of the lewd Nell Gwyn and the end of Cromwellian austerity. "New Worlds is a compelling drama capturing the political struggles of the period following the English Civil War both at home and overseas," says Chaneel 4's head of drma Piers Wenger.
"The combination of Peter and Martine's scripts and Charles Martin's direction has attracted a diverse and glittering cast and we're greatly looking forward to seeing their work brought to the screen," Wenger adds.
When asked about playing a new character and filming in two different locations, Dornan reveals that playing an outlaw is a lot of fun. "I loved all that running through woods with guns, arrows, unwashed hair and your band of mates indulging your inner Robin Hood! Everyone got on really well on set so we had a good laugh," says the actor in an interview with the Daily Mail.
Writing about the new period drama after its premiere, The Guardian writer, David Stubbs, says that the first episode of the new series is "visually ravishing" but "viscerally brutal." "New Worlds" also stars "Game of Thrones" actor Joe Dempsie, "Skins" Freya Mavor and Alice Englert.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation