Australia Poised to Become World's Top Gas Exporter By 2020, U.S. Still Far Behind
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 2, 2014 5:37 PM EST
By end of this decade or year 2020, Australia would have become the world's top gas exporter, according to the International Gas Union (IGU). Moreover, the body assured the country that the U.S. shale gas exports will likely affect liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports to Asia.
Jérôme Ferrier, IGU president, said the body had witnessed the growing importance of Australia for the global gas market. The country had immediately zoomed to become one of the top global LNG exporters.
"Natural gas can help to address the challenge of reducing carbon emissions," Mr Ferrier said. "Sustainable energy has to be accessible for all, while also ensuring that it is provided in an efficient manner and does not cause adverse environmental and socio-economic impacts."
"Gas has a pivotal role to play in this context."
Moreover, Australia happens to just have all the possible opportunities and energy resources.
Apart from LNG, Australia has shale gas reserves as well as coal. "You have all kinds of energy," he said.
"As that volume is maintained, Australia can expect to emerge as a key supplier," Mr Ferrier said.
"You are a secure supplier with no interruptions," IGU secretary-general Torstein Indrebo said of Australia being the most attractive supplier to the Asian market.
There are at least seven new LNG projects being constructed in Australia right now. Expected total capacity is placed at 60 million mt/year, potentially boosting Australia ahead of Qatar by around 2017 as the world's largest producer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims