Australia Poised to Become World's Top Gas Exporter By 2020, U.S. Still Far Behind
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 2, 2014 5:37 PM EST
By end of this decade or year 2020, Australia would have become the world's top gas exporter, according to the International Gas Union (IGU). Moreover, the body assured the country that the U.S. shale gas exports will likely affect liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports to Asia.
Jérôme Ferrier, IGU president, said the body had witnessed the growing importance of Australia for the global gas market. The country had immediately zoomed to become one of the top global LNG exporters.
"Natural gas can help to address the challenge of reducing carbon emissions," Mr Ferrier said. "Sustainable energy has to be accessible for all, while also ensuring that it is provided in an efficient manner and does not cause adverse environmental and socio-economic impacts."
"Gas has a pivotal role to play in this context."
Moreover, Australia happens to just have all the possible opportunities and energy resources.
Apart from LNG, Australia has shale gas reserves as well as coal. "You have all kinds of energy," he said.
"As that volume is maintained, Australia can expect to emerge as a key supplier," Mr Ferrier said.
"You are a secure supplier with no interruptions," IGU secretary-general Torstein Indrebo said of Australia being the most attractive supplier to the Asian market.
There are at least seven new LNG projects being constructed in Australia right now. Expected total capacity is placed at 60 million mt/year, potentially boosting Australia ahead of Qatar by around 2017 as the world's largest producer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence