Liverpool Keen to Win the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Liverpool is desperate to clinch the Premier League title for 2014, according to Daniel Sturridge. The keenness to pick the title is primarily fuelled from the current position and to dedicate the win to the long-standing captain, Steven Gerrard.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge (R) celebrates with teammates Steven Gerrard (C) and Jordan Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014.
Liverpool now stands at the top of the chart after humiliating Tottenham Hotspur by 4-0. The other factor that inspired to eye for a 2014 win is to pay a fitting tribute to the captain Gerrard, picking up the Premier League title for the first time. Sturridge stated the team is all set to help their 33-year-old captain to achieve the dream.
"If we win it, Stevie really deserves it, he should win the Premier League because of everything he has done for this club...Every player in this team will do their best to help him achieve that goal," Sturridge said.
"He's just unbelievable every day, a great leader. He lives and dies for this club, he's been here his whole career and it's just a great pleasure to be able to play with him. He is the perfect example for every young player around the country - in fact a real example for every player."
"He's been so loyal to Liverpool - he has been world class and still is world class. Stevie will always be a legend not just for Liverpool, but to England as well. He will definitely go down in history as one of the best midfielders in the game, never mind just this club," he added.
Sturridge is enjoying a fantastic season this year having bagged 20 league goals. However, Gerrard insisted the team not to look for the title as of now but the performance which is the most important for the following six games.
"You saw it against Sunderland that teams will come and be really compact, and try to close down all the spaces against us ... that makes it difficult. But from now it is all about the results, that's all that matters, so we won't worry about anything else," Sturridge said.
"The important thing is just to keep working hard as a team and if we do that, I am sure we will continue to get the results. There are still six games to go, every one of them huge, so we will not get too excited just yet," he concluded.
Liverpool won the league back in 1990 and this year they have high opportunity for a consistent performance and being on top of the chart with 88 goals in total.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best