Liverpool Keen to Win the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Liverpool is desperate to clinch the Premier League title for 2014, according to Daniel Sturridge. The keenness to pick the title is primarily fuelled from the current position and to dedicate the win to the long-standing captain, Steven Gerrard.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge (R) celebrates with teammates Steven Gerrard (C) and Jordan Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014.
Liverpool now stands at the top of the chart after humiliating Tottenham Hotspur by 4-0. The other factor that inspired to eye for a 2014 win is to pay a fitting tribute to the captain Gerrard, picking up the Premier League title for the first time. Sturridge stated the team is all set to help their 33-year-old captain to achieve the dream.
"If we win it, Stevie really deserves it, he should win the Premier League because of everything he has done for this club...Every player in this team will do their best to help him achieve that goal," Sturridge said.
"He's just unbelievable every day, a great leader. He lives and dies for this club, he's been here his whole career and it's just a great pleasure to be able to play with him. He is the perfect example for every young player around the country - in fact a real example for every player."
"He's been so loyal to Liverpool - he has been world class and still is world class. Stevie will always be a legend not just for Liverpool, but to England as well. He will definitely go down in history as one of the best midfielders in the game, never mind just this club," he added.
Sturridge is enjoying a fantastic season this year having bagged 20 league goals. However, Gerrard insisted the team not to look for the title as of now but the performance which is the most important for the following six games.
"You saw it against Sunderland that teams will come and be really compact, and try to close down all the spaces against us ... that makes it difficult. But from now it is all about the results, that's all that matters, so we won't worry about anything else," Sturridge said.
"The important thing is just to keep working hard as a team and if we do that, I am sure we will continue to get the results. There are still six games to go, every one of them huge, so we will not get too excited just yet," he concluded.
Liverpool won the league back in 1990 and this year they have high opportunity for a consistent performance and being on top of the chart with 88 goals in total.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]