Liverpool Keen to Win the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Liverpool is desperate to clinch the Premier League title for 2014, according to Daniel Sturridge. The keenness to pick the title is primarily fuelled from the current position and to dedicate the win to the long-standing captain, Steven Gerrard.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge (R) celebrates with teammates Steven Gerrard (C) and Jordan Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014.
Liverpool now stands at the top of the chart after humiliating Tottenham Hotspur by 4-0. The other factor that inspired to eye for a 2014 win is to pay a fitting tribute to the captain Gerrard, picking up the Premier League title for the first time. Sturridge stated the team is all set to help their 33-year-old captain to achieve the dream.
"If we win it, Stevie really deserves it, he should win the Premier League because of everything he has done for this club...Every player in this team will do their best to help him achieve that goal," Sturridge said.
"He's just unbelievable every day, a great leader. He lives and dies for this club, he's been here his whole career and it's just a great pleasure to be able to play with him. He is the perfect example for every young player around the country - in fact a real example for every player."
"He's been so loyal to Liverpool - he has been world class and still is world class. Stevie will always be a legend not just for Liverpool, but to England as well. He will definitely go down in history as one of the best midfielders in the game, never mind just this club," he added.
Sturridge is enjoying a fantastic season this year having bagged 20 league goals. However, Gerrard insisted the team not to look for the title as of now but the performance which is the most important for the following six games.
"You saw it against Sunderland that teams will come and be really compact, and try to close down all the spaces against us ... that makes it difficult. But from now it is all about the results, that's all that matters, so we won't worry about anything else," Sturridge said.
"The important thing is just to keep working hard as a team and if we do that, I am sure we will continue to get the results. There are still six games to go, every one of them huge, so we will not get too excited just yet," he concluded.
Liverpool won the league back in 1990 and this year they have high opportunity for a consistent performance and being on top of the chart with 88 goals in total.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate