Liverpool Keen to Win the Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 5:23 PM EST
Liverpool is desperate to clinch the Premier League title for 2014, according to Daniel Sturridge. The keenness to pick the title is primarily fuelled from the current position and to dedicate the win to the long-standing captain, Steven Gerrard.
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge (R) celebrates with teammates Steven Gerrard (C) and Jordan Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England March 26, 2014.
Liverpool now stands at the top of the chart after humiliating Tottenham Hotspur by 4-0. The other factor that inspired to eye for a 2014 win is to pay a fitting tribute to the captain Gerrard, picking up the Premier League title for the first time. Sturridge stated the team is all set to help their 33-year-old captain to achieve the dream.
"If we win it, Stevie really deserves it, he should win the Premier League because of everything he has done for this club...Every player in this team will do their best to help him achieve that goal," Sturridge said.
"He's just unbelievable every day, a great leader. He lives and dies for this club, he's been here his whole career and it's just a great pleasure to be able to play with him. He is the perfect example for every young player around the country - in fact a real example for every player."
"He's been so loyal to Liverpool - he has been world class and still is world class. Stevie will always be a legend not just for Liverpool, but to England as well. He will definitely go down in history as one of the best midfielders in the game, never mind just this club," he added.
Sturridge is enjoying a fantastic season this year having bagged 20 league goals. However, Gerrard insisted the team not to look for the title as of now but the performance which is the most important for the following six games.
"You saw it against Sunderland that teams will come and be really compact, and try to close down all the spaces against us ... that makes it difficult. But from now it is all about the results, that's all that matters, so we won't worry about anything else," Sturridge said.
"The important thing is just to keep working hard as a team and if we do that, I am sure we will continue to get the results. There are still six games to go, every one of them huge, so we will not get too excited just yet," he concluded.
Liverpool won the league back in 1990 and this year they have high opportunity for a consistent performance and being on top of the chart with 88 goals in total.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year