Shakira Marries FC Barcelona Star Gerard Piqué
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 2, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Latina singer Shakira and FC Barcelona star Gerard Piqué have officially tied the knot.
A report by Latina.com revealed that Shakira and Piqué married in a secret ceremony in Barcelona, Spain, over the weekend. The Web site further reported that Shakira and Piqué's adorable son Milan played his part in the wedding by being the ring bearer. The newlywed couple reportedly met in 2010. She is 10 years his senior, and they both share the same birthday.
Colombian singer Shakira and Barcelona's soccer player Gerard Pique (L) pose during a photocall presenting her new album "Shakira" in Barcelona March 20, 2014. REUTERS/Albert Gea
Speaking to ITV's Lorraine, as reported by Reveal.co.uk, Shakira opened up about the song she wrote for Piqué for her new album. She described Piqué as her prince. "The song was more about the miracle that it was to meet him and how he changed my life," said Shakira.
"Sometimes I feel at that time when we had met, I often felt like a princess trapped in a castle with a dragon inside," she said. "He was that prince that rescued me from the dragon," she added.
Shakira said that her description may sound a little cheesy, but it is how she feels.
"I was searching for happiness for so long and I finally found it in him," Shakira concluded.
Shakira currently serves as a judge in the latest season of reality singing contest The Voice. She recently released her 10th album where she did collaborations with different musical artists like Rihanna and fellow The Voice judge Blake Shelton. Shakira's duet with Shelton made its debut on the Country Airplay chart at the 57th spot. The song, titled Medicine, is a little different from the songs that people have gotten used to hearing Shakira sing.
"The acoustic guitars, that type of narrative, songs that have a traditional structure, and I said to Shelton, 'I want to do that type of song,'" Shakira told Billboard. According to Shakira, she didn't know at first what route to take for the song - such as make it a dance or pop song - and she had to make eight versions of it. "But I said, no, this is a country music."
Shakira and Shelton already sang the song live during the season opener of The Voice. They will be performing the song again on the 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards on April 6. Listen to Medicine here.
Congratulations to the newlyweds, Shakira and Piqué!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff