Tsunami Alert Raised for Hawaii as Magnitude 8.2 Earthquake Claims 5 Lives in Chile, Possible to Strike Early Morning
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 2, 2014 4:41 PM EST
Authorities have raised a tsunami alert for Hawaii and told residents to brace for a possible onslaught. The warning came off following the magnitude 8.2 earthquake that struck off Chile on Tuesday night. At least five have died.
Massive 8.2 Earthquake off Chile Coast Sparks Tsunami
An "expanding tsunami warning" has been issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center covering the coasts of Chile and Peru.
Destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter, the tsunami "could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the agency said. It explained an "expanding" warning meant that waves could spread rapidly in the opposite direction as wave events unfold.
The Pacific tsunami center said some waves could reach the Hawaii coast by 3:24 am (9:24 am.ET).
"No action is required at this time," it said. But "there is a possibility that Hawaii could be elevated to a watch or warning status."
The US Geological Survey placed the quake as having an 8.2 magnitude strength. Chile's National Seismological Centre, however, placed it at 8.3.
It struck 99 km northwest of the port city of Iquique at 8:46 pm local time (10:46a m AEDT). Iquique is a major port city with a population of about 182,000 people.
Five people have already been confirmed dead, while three others were seriously injured.
It has also caused landslides, creating traffic jams among fleeing people. Blackouts and telephone outages have also been reported.
In the midst of the chaos, 300 female prisoners had escaped from a prison facility in Iquique, according to The Guardian.
"We have taken action to ensure public order in the case of Iquique, where we've had a massive escape of more than 300 female prisoners from the Iquique jail, so that the armed forces and police can coordinate and provide tranquility and security to the residents," Chilean Interior Minister Rodrigo Penailillo said.
The armed forces had recaptured less than 50 so far.
Eight strong aftershocks have been felt, including a 6.2 tremor. Mario Pardo, a seismologist at the University of Chile, said more aftershocks are to expected. A larger quake could also occur anytime.
Australia is safe from the force of the tsunami.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report