New Zealand Rugby Union Fights Corruption
By James Patrick Quizon | April 2, 2014 3:57 PM EST
With hopes in keeping the game of rugby clean, the New Zealand Rugby Union is launching an anti-corruption drive the organization announced on Wednesday.
New Zealand players perform the haka following their win over England in the Cup final of the Hong Kong Sevens rugby tournament
"We want rugby to remain an honest test of skill and ability. Our sport has a good record, but we can't take it for granted," declared Neil Sorensen the New Zealand Rugby Union’s general manager in a Yahoo Sports New Zealand article.
Sports corruption and match-fixing has plagued the world of sports recently and Sorensen was adamant that it was important that the sport of rugby needs to be protected.
"We've seen international examples of the damage that corruption can do to sport and we don't want to see that happen in rugby.”
Roughly 2000 members involved in New Zealand rugby—from players, coaches to managers were asked to sign a pledge to support the anti-corruption drive and by abiding with the new regulations.
One of which is that all involved are “banned from betting on rugby matches no matter where in the world they are played.”
This includes people who may be betting on behalf of the players, coaches or managers. If anyone is found guilty, the penalty is a lifetime ban from the game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia