New Zealand Rugby Union Fights Corruption
By James Patrick Quizon | April 2, 2014 3:57 PM EST
With hopes in keeping the game of rugby clean, the New Zealand Rugby Union is launching an anti-corruption drive the organization announced on Wednesday.
New Zealand players perform the haka following their win over England in the Cup final of the Hong Kong Sevens rugby tournament
"We want rugby to remain an honest test of skill and ability. Our sport has a good record, but we can't take it for granted," declared Neil Sorensen the New Zealand Rugby Union’s general manager in a Yahoo Sports New Zealand article.
Sports corruption and match-fixing has plagued the world of sports recently and Sorensen was adamant that it was important that the sport of rugby needs to be protected.
"We've seen international examples of the damage that corruption can do to sport and we don't want to see that happen in rugby.”
Roughly 2000 members involved in New Zealand rugby—from players, coaches to managers were asked to sign a pledge to support the anti-corruption drive and by abiding with the new regulations.
One of which is that all involved are “banned from betting on rugby matches no matter where in the world they are played.”
This includes people who may be betting on behalf of the players, coaches or managers. If anyone is found guilty, the penalty is a lifetime ban from the game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon