Grant Hackett Off From Rehab
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 3:32 PM EST
Former Olympics freestyle swimming champion Greg Hackett has been released from rehab. Hackett sought assistance to help fight addiction to sleeping pills.
Hackett initially denied his problem, but his manager and his father were persistent as they both showed their concern for his addiction on a drug named Stilnox. This drug is generally used to treat patients suffering from insomnia. Athletes are often prescribed this drug prior to a big event.
In an interview with Nine Network at Los Angeles airport, Hackett explained the issue and his coming out of the situation.
"It just gets to a situation in life where you're not coping too well, and you need to put your hand up and ask for help -- I certainly got to that situation, I feel proud of myself that I had the strength and courage to do that, because I want to have a great and happy life ahead of me ... I want to be a great father and I want to do all those things properly," Hackett said.
His experience seemed to bring a sea change in his thought after his rehabilitation for past five weeks.
"Certainly what I've learnt over the past five weeks has put me in a position to do all those things a lot better."
The former Olympics champion is still considered to be as one of the greatest distance swimmers that the world ever produced. Hackett also served as captain of the Australia swimming squad till 2008. He worked for Channel Nine network and often used to host Wide World Sports. Hackett was also the ambassador for Westpac Bank for 13 years after which he started working as an employee for the company.
Hackett seemed all perfect after his discharge from rehabilitation and hopefully, this living legend will lead a healthy life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around