NFL Trade Rumors: RB Chris Johnson Likely Playing For Atlanta Falcons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 2, 2014 3:11 PM EST
The Atlanta Falcons have emerged as the favorite team to acquire running back Chris Johnson, with the Tennessee Titans expected to make decision on the running back this week, a reliable league source reported on Friday.
Sports Illustrated NFL insider Josh Sanchez indicated the Titans will eventually release or trade Johnson before the 2014 NFL Draft. According to Tennessean writer Jim Wyatt, the Falcons are the team that should be closely watched.
The Falcons already have Steven Jackson as their primary rusher. However, analysts think Jackson's inclusion would give the team a different dimension to their rushing attack.
"Jackson is the physical, between-the-tackles runner, while Johnson can threaten a defense on the outside, even though he is beginning to lose a step," Sports Illustrated Audible reported.
Still, Sanchez believed the Falcons need to improve their offensive line in order for their aging running backs to be effective next season.
Jets - Darkhorse in Chris Johnson Sweepstakes
The Falcons might be the top choice to get Johnson, but the New York Jets can provide the former Pro Bowl running back the opportunity to make an impact alongside another between the tackles runner in Chris Ivory.
"Johnson has shown a declining skillset in recent years, but he still has the speed and home-run ability that the Jets offense has lacked. Johnson and Ivory would be a solid one-two punch for an offense that entered free agency desperate to add weapons," SI NFL reported.
Desperate to add more offensive weapons this offseason, the Jets are believed to be saving money for the opportunity to add a 2000-yard rusher this offseason. In his six-year career, Johnson broke through the 2,000 rushing yard barrier only once and that happened in his sophomore season in 2009. Still, Johnson amassed 7,965 yards with 50 scores throughout his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced