NFL Trade Rumors: RB Chris Johnson Likely Playing For Atlanta Falcons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 2, 2014 3:11 PM EST
The Atlanta Falcons have emerged as the favorite team to acquire running back Chris Johnson, with the Tennessee Titans expected to make decision on the running back this week, a reliable league source reported on Friday.
Sports Illustrated NFL insider Josh Sanchez indicated the Titans will eventually release or trade Johnson before the 2014 NFL Draft. According to Tennessean writer Jim Wyatt, the Falcons are the team that should be closely watched.
The Falcons already have Steven Jackson as their primary rusher. However, analysts think Jackson's inclusion would give the team a different dimension to their rushing attack.
"Jackson is the physical, between-the-tackles runner, while Johnson can threaten a defense on the outside, even though he is beginning to lose a step," Sports Illustrated Audible reported.
Still, Sanchez believed the Falcons need to improve their offensive line in order for their aging running backs to be effective next season.
Jets - Darkhorse in Chris Johnson Sweepstakes
The Falcons might be the top choice to get Johnson, but the New York Jets can provide the former Pro Bowl running back the opportunity to make an impact alongside another between the tackles runner in Chris Ivory.
"Johnson has shown a declining skillset in recent years, but he still has the speed and home-run ability that the Jets offense has lacked. Johnson and Ivory would be a solid one-two punch for an offense that entered free agency desperate to add weapons," SI NFL reported.
Desperate to add more offensive weapons this offseason, the Jets are believed to be saving money for the opportunity to add a 2000-yard rusher this offseason. In his six-year career, Johnson broke through the 2,000 rushing yard barrier only once and that happened in his sophomore season in 2009. Still, Johnson amassed 7,965 yards with 50 scores throughout his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]