NFL Trade Rumors: RB Chris Johnson Likely Playing For Atlanta Falcons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 2, 2014 3:11 PM EST
The Atlanta Falcons have emerged as the favorite team to acquire running back Chris Johnson, with the Tennessee Titans expected to make decision on the running back this week, a reliable league source reported on Friday.
Sports Illustrated NFL insider Josh Sanchez indicated the Titans will eventually release or trade Johnson before the 2014 NFL Draft. According to Tennessean writer Jim Wyatt, the Falcons are the team that should be closely watched.
The Falcons already have Steven Jackson as their primary rusher. However, analysts think Jackson's inclusion would give the team a different dimension to their rushing attack.
"Jackson is the physical, between-the-tackles runner, while Johnson can threaten a defense on the outside, even though he is beginning to lose a step," Sports Illustrated Audible reported.
Still, Sanchez believed the Falcons need to improve their offensive line in order for their aging running backs to be effective next season.
Jets - Darkhorse in Chris Johnson Sweepstakes
The Falcons might be the top choice to get Johnson, but the New York Jets can provide the former Pro Bowl running back the opportunity to make an impact alongside another between the tackles runner in Chris Ivory.
"Johnson has shown a declining skillset in recent years, but he still has the speed and home-run ability that the Jets offense has lacked. Johnson and Ivory would be a solid one-two punch for an offense that entered free agency desperate to add weapons," SI NFL reported.
Desperate to add more offensive weapons this offseason, the Jets are believed to be saving money for the opportunity to add a 2000-yard rusher this offseason. In his six-year career, Johnson broke through the 2,000 rushing yard barrier only once and that happened in his sophomore season in 2009. Still, Johnson amassed 7,965 yards with 50 scores throughout his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight