NFL Trade Rumors: RB Chris Johnson Likely Playing For Atlanta Falcons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 2, 2014 3:11 PM EST
The Atlanta Falcons have emerged as the favorite team to acquire running back Chris Johnson, with the Tennessee Titans expected to make decision on the running back this week, a reliable league source reported on Friday.
Sports Illustrated NFL insider Josh Sanchez indicated the Titans will eventually release or trade Johnson before the 2014 NFL Draft. According to Tennessean writer Jim Wyatt, the Falcons are the team that should be closely watched.
The Falcons already have Steven Jackson as their primary rusher. However, analysts think Jackson's inclusion would give the team a different dimension to their rushing attack.
"Jackson is the physical, between-the-tackles runner, while Johnson can threaten a defense on the outside, even though he is beginning to lose a step," Sports Illustrated Audible reported.
Still, Sanchez believed the Falcons need to improve their offensive line in order for their aging running backs to be effective next season.
Jets - Darkhorse in Chris Johnson Sweepstakes
The Falcons might be the top choice to get Johnson, but the New York Jets can provide the former Pro Bowl running back the opportunity to make an impact alongside another between the tackles runner in Chris Ivory.
"Johnson has shown a declining skillset in recent years, but he still has the speed and home-run ability that the Jets offense has lacked. Johnson and Ivory would be a solid one-two punch for an offense that entered free agency desperate to add weapons," SI NFL reported.
Desperate to add more offensive weapons this offseason, the Jets are believed to be saving money for the opportunity to add a 2000-yard rusher this offseason. In his six-year career, Johnson broke through the 2,000 rushing yard barrier only once and that happened in his sophomore season in 2009. Still, Johnson amassed 7,965 yards with 50 scores throughout his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories