NFL Trade Rumors: RB Chris Johnson Likely Playing For Atlanta Falcons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 2, 2014 3:11 PM EST
The Atlanta Falcons have emerged as the favorite team to acquire running back Chris Johnson, with the Tennessee Titans expected to make decision on the running back this week, a reliable league source reported on Friday.
Sports Illustrated NFL insider Josh Sanchez indicated the Titans will eventually release or trade Johnson before the 2014 NFL Draft. According to Tennessean writer Jim Wyatt, the Falcons are the team that should be closely watched.
The Falcons already have Steven Jackson as their primary rusher. However, analysts think Jackson's inclusion would give the team a different dimension to their rushing attack.
"Jackson is the physical, between-the-tackles runner, while Johnson can threaten a defense on the outside, even though he is beginning to lose a step," Sports Illustrated Audible reported.
Still, Sanchez believed the Falcons need to improve their offensive line in order for their aging running backs to be effective next season.
Jets - Darkhorse in Chris Johnson Sweepstakes
The Falcons might be the top choice to get Johnson, but the New York Jets can provide the former Pro Bowl running back the opportunity to make an impact alongside another between the tackles runner in Chris Ivory.
"Johnson has shown a declining skillset in recent years, but he still has the speed and home-run ability that the Jets offense has lacked. Johnson and Ivory would be a solid one-two punch for an offense that entered free agency desperate to add weapons," SI NFL reported.
Desperate to add more offensive weapons this offseason, the Jets are believed to be saving money for the opportunity to add a 2000-yard rusher this offseason. In his six-year career, Johnson broke through the 2,000 rushing yard barrier only once and that happened in his sophomore season in 2009. Still, Johnson amassed 7,965 yards with 50 scores throughout his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air