Champions League Update: Manchester United With Bayern Munich Ended With a Draw
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 3:07 PM EST
In the Champions League quarter final match held on Tuesday at Old Trafford, the visitor Bayern Munich faced a draw against Manchester United.
Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic (R) scores a goal against Bayern Munich during their Champions League quarter-final first leg soccer match at Old Trafford in Manchester, April 1, 2014.
Bayern Munich was undisputedly on a higher note with 50 over matches win in the Bundesliga. But the host gave a stellar performance to restrict the match to a draw.
The visitor dominated the first half but ended goalless. But as the second half rolled on, Bayern Munich faced the first shock when Nemanja Vidić scored the first goal in 58 minutes from a corner kick. Rooney got the possession, swung it nicely and Vidić made no mistake to let the ball bypass Manuel Neuer, leading United by 1-0.
Bayern looked frantic to look for an equaliser when after nine minutes of the first goal came a stunning half-volley from Bastian Schweinsteiger sealed the fate of the match in a draw.
The worst part for the host was when Schweinsteiger met two yellow cards, equivalent to a red card, and had to walk off the field. Fortunately, it happened just near the final minute of the match. With three minutes of added time, some more dramatic events were expected but nothing could be materialised.
Bayern manager Pep Guardiola looked satisfied with the team's performance against another powerful team.
"I am quite satisfied. Manchester United has one of the best teams in the world. We scored an away goal which is important, but we also got lucky that efforts from Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney did not go in. The goal we conceded was difficult to defend," Guardiola said after the match.
"It is always dangerous when you go into the second leg with a 1-1 draw, but even a 2-1 victory would have been dangerous. We will try to win the second leg and I am sure we can do it. I have full confidence in my players and hope the fans in Munich will push us like the United supporters did for their team today," he added.
Toni Kroos, Bayern's midfielder stated it to be as a tough game.
"It was a tough game. We were dominant throughout the whole match, but United threw everything at us. They defended with 10 men and were dangerous with counter-attacks ... We did everything to pass the ball around and find gaps. In the end we highly deserved to score the equaliser and the result is not that bad for us. All options are available to us in the second leg," Kroos said.
United's manager David Moyes appreciated the team for their wholehearted effort to subdue the visitors.
"The players played really well so we're delighted but just a bit disappointed that we conceded in the end...There was a real determination to make sure we did well, the players realised we were playing a really good side tonight...We know we've got to score a goal in the second leg. We have to do something about it. But we know we've given ourselves a great opportunity," Moyes said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools