Champions League Update: Manchester United With Bayern Munich Ended With a Draw
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 3:07 PM EST
In the Champions League quarter final match held on Tuesday at Old Trafford, the visitor Bayern Munich faced a draw against Manchester United.
Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic (R) scores a goal against Bayern Munich during their Champions League quarter-final first leg soccer match at Old Trafford in Manchester, April 1, 2014.
Bayern Munich was undisputedly on a higher note with 50 over matches win in the Bundesliga. But the host gave a stellar performance to restrict the match to a draw.
The visitor dominated the first half but ended goalless. But as the second half rolled on, Bayern Munich faced the first shock when Nemanja Vidić scored the first goal in 58 minutes from a corner kick. Rooney got the possession, swung it nicely and Vidić made no mistake to let the ball bypass Manuel Neuer, leading United by 1-0.
Bayern looked frantic to look for an equaliser when after nine minutes of the first goal came a stunning half-volley from Bastian Schweinsteiger sealed the fate of the match in a draw.
The worst part for the host was when Schweinsteiger met two yellow cards, equivalent to a red card, and had to walk off the field. Fortunately, it happened just near the final minute of the match. With three minutes of added time, some more dramatic events were expected but nothing could be materialised.
Bayern manager Pep Guardiola looked satisfied with the team's performance against another powerful team.
"I am quite satisfied. Manchester United has one of the best teams in the world. We scored an away goal which is important, but we also got lucky that efforts from Danny Welbeck and Wayne Rooney did not go in. The goal we conceded was difficult to defend," Guardiola said after the match.
"It is always dangerous when you go into the second leg with a 1-1 draw, but even a 2-1 victory would have been dangerous. We will try to win the second leg and I am sure we can do it. I have full confidence in my players and hope the fans in Munich will push us like the United supporters did for their team today," he added.
Toni Kroos, Bayern's midfielder stated it to be as a tough game.
"It was a tough game. We were dominant throughout the whole match, but United threw everything at us. They defended with 10 men and were dangerous with counter-attacks ... We did everything to pass the ball around and find gaps. In the end we highly deserved to score the equaliser and the result is not that bad for us. All options are available to us in the second leg," Kroos said.
United's manager David Moyes appreciated the team for their wholehearted effort to subdue the visitors.
"The players played really well so we're delighted but just a bit disappointed that we conceded in the end...There was a real determination to make sure we did well, the players realised we were playing a really good side tonight...We know we've got to score a goal in the second leg. We have to do something about it. But we know we've given ourselves a great opportunity," Moyes said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate