Gold Nudges up but Still Near Seven-week Low on Strong US Data
April 2, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Gold steadied on Wednesday after two days of losses but the precious metal continued to stay near its lowest in seven weeks as strong U.S. factory data boosted optimism about economic growth, diminishing bullion's safe-haven appeal.
A saleswoman arranges a gold necklace inside a jewellery showroom in the southern Indian city of Kochi in this April 16, 2013 file photo. Battling a huge trade deficit and a weak currency, the government has taken various steps this year to make it harder and more expensive for Indians to get hold of gold, the biggest item on the country's import bill after oil. REUTERS/Sivaram V/Files (INDIA - Tags: BUSINESS)
* Spot gold edged up 0.1 percent to $1,280.39 an ounce by 0022 GMT, not far from its seven-week low of $1,277.29.
* U.S. factory activity accelerated for a second straight month in March and auto sales surged, the latest signs the economy was regaining footing after a brutal winter.
* SPDR Gold Trust, the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, said its holdings fell 2.10 tonnes to 810.98 tonnes on Tuesday.
* Anglo American Platinum (AMSJ.J) has sent force majeure notices to some of the suppliers to its South African mines, the world's top platinum producer said, underscoring the widening economic impact of an almost 10-week-old strike.
* Deutsche Bank raised its 2014 gold price forecast to $1,261 and silver price forecast to $20 per ounce.
* Asian share markets were looking to extend their recent rally on Wednesday as investors chose to accentuate the positive in a mixed bag of global economic data, pressuring safe havens such as the yen and government bonds.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected