iPhone 6 Screen with In-Cell Touch Panel Technology for Thinner Construction to Enter Production in May
By Karla Danica Figuerres | April 2, 2014 2:41 PM EST
The report was citing unnamed supply chain sources saying that Japan Display along with other manufacturers are preparing their facilities to start the panel production next month.
On the other hand, those who are looking forward to seeing the 5.5 inches model of the iPhone 6 might be a little bit disappointed as it appears that production issues of the bigger iPhone 6 have forced the Cupertino tech giant to delay the release of the bigger iPhone. According to Reuters, the manufacturers are running into difficulties with the in-cell technology, which means that the larger displays may not go into production for several months and delay the release of the bigger iPhone 6.
"Apple Inc suppliers will begin mass producing displays as early as May for the next iPhone, expected to be launched this autumn, with a 4.7-inch screen likely to be produced first while a 5.5-inch version could be delayed, supply chain sources said. [...]
Both iPhone 6 with 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches screens are expected to use in-cell touch panel technology, which is built into the screen to allow for thinner construction than with standard touch panel films. This same technology has been introduced previously with the iPhone 5, according to the source.
However, because of the difficulties with the in-cell production technology for the bigger iPhone 6, one of the sources claimed that a decision was made to start the production of the smaller 4.7 inches iPhone 6 alone.
The outlet reaffirms that Japan Display, South Korea's LG Display Co Ltd and Sharp Corp have all been tapped to manufacture the screen of the 4.7 inches iPhone 6, which coincides with some previous rumours. Japan Display will start the production on May at its main plant in Mobara with the other manufacturers ramping up on June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon