'Minecraft' PS3 Update Details with Skins and Texture Packs and a New Way to Play 'Minecraft' on Oculus Rift
By Gel Galang | April 2, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Developments of the "Minecraft" PS3 version is in high gear, as new updates have been announced by Mojang via the PlayStation Blog.
"The latest update to Minecraft PS3 brings Emeralds, Ender Chests, Zombie Villagers, and more. Cauldrons fill up in the rain! Wolf collars can be dyed! Pigs drop more porkchops! The list goes on," said Owen Hill of Mojang over at the PlayStation Blog.
What's more, Mojang has announced two skin packs coming out, which is the Skin Pack 1 featuring Nathan "Uncharted" Drake, folks from Heavy Rain, Killzone characters and Sly Cooper.
Another skin pack is the Battle and Beasts skin pack, where players can get koalas, cavemen, an octopus and even a Cleopatra look-alike. In addition to this, two texture packs are also coming out: the City Texture pack and the Plastic Texture pack, which have already been out for "Minecraft" Xbox 360.
Hill also responded to a fan query in terms of the projects for "Minecraft" in terms of the PS4 and PS Vita version. According to him, there's no date set for a PS Vita version as of yet, but will keep fans up to date if any comes along. The same goes for the PS4 release date, as 4J Studios is also very diligent in terms of any updates coming for the PS4 version of "Minecraft."
As far as 4J Studios is concerned, it looks like a couple of bugs have been targeted for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the latest update. Over at its official 4J Studios Twitter account, the developer stated that they are in the middle of fixing bugs and have already found 15 right now:
— 4J Studios (@4JStudios) March 31, 2014
How to Play 'Minecraft' on the Oculus
While acknowledging the fact that it can do well for social networks, the "Minecraft" creator prefers to work with games rather than explore the benefits of virtual reality on social media.
But in his statements, Notch has also previously hinted that "Minecraft" is not facing the end when it comes to virtual reality. After all, Sony's Project Morpheus has just been announced, and it seems like it's even more advanced and built better compared to the Oculus Rift.
Granted problems of exclusivity in "Minecraft" might make it a divide between the "Minecraft" PlayStation and Xbox owners, but that's a discussion for when Sony's VR headset becomes more of a staple brand rather than a developer's dream.
For now, the question of whether "Minecraft" can still be played via virtual reality has been asked, and Wired has found the right mod for it: "Minecrift." According to the source, Minecrift was mentioned by Notch himself, as it allows for using the game on the Oculus Rift.
It runs on "Minecraft" Forge and can even be used with the Razer Hydra. This is pretty much a motion tracker, not unlike the Wii Remote, which will allow for positional tracking. It's a fun try, and one that players can resort to if they want to console themselves after hearing the bad news.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- LG G Flex vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- 'Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare' Details Exo Suit Options As A Potential Movie Leak Gets Spotted
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists