'Minecraft' PS3 Update Details with Skins and Texture Packs and a New Way to Play 'Minecraft' on Oculus Rift
By Gel Galang | April 2, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Developments of the "Minecraft" PS3 version is in high gear, as new updates have been announced by Mojang via the PlayStation Blog.
"The latest update to Minecraft PS3 brings Emeralds, Ender Chests, Zombie Villagers, and more. Cauldrons fill up in the rain! Wolf collars can be dyed! Pigs drop more porkchops! The list goes on," said Owen Hill of Mojang over at the PlayStation Blog.
What's more, Mojang has announced two skin packs coming out, which is the Skin Pack 1 featuring Nathan "Uncharted" Drake, folks from Heavy Rain, Killzone characters and Sly Cooper.
Another skin pack is the Battle and Beasts skin pack, where players can get koalas, cavemen, an octopus and even a Cleopatra look-alike. In addition to this, two texture packs are also coming out: the City Texture pack and the Plastic Texture pack, which have already been out for "Minecraft" Xbox 360.
Hill also responded to a fan query in terms of the projects for "Minecraft" in terms of the PS4 and PS Vita version. According to him, there's no date set for a PS Vita version as of yet, but will keep fans up to date if any comes along. The same goes for the PS4 release date, as 4J Studios is also very diligent in terms of any updates coming for the PS4 version of "Minecraft."
As far as 4J Studios is concerned, it looks like a couple of bugs have been targeted for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the latest update. Over at its official 4J Studios Twitter account, the developer stated that they are in the middle of fixing bugs and have already found 15 right now:
— 4J Studios (@4JStudios) March 31, 2014
How to Play 'Minecraft' on the Oculus
While acknowledging the fact that it can do well for social networks, the "Minecraft" creator prefers to work with games rather than explore the benefits of virtual reality on social media.
But in his statements, Notch has also previously hinted that "Minecraft" is not facing the end when it comes to virtual reality. After all, Sony's Project Morpheus has just been announced, and it seems like it's even more advanced and built better compared to the Oculus Rift.
Granted problems of exclusivity in "Minecraft" might make it a divide between the "Minecraft" PlayStation and Xbox owners, but that's a discussion for when Sony's VR headset becomes more of a staple brand rather than a developer's dream.
For now, the question of whether "Minecraft" can still be played via virtual reality has been asked, and Wired has found the right mod for it: "Minecrift." According to the source, Minecrift was mentioned by Notch himself, as it allows for using the game on the Oculus Rift.
It runs on "Minecraft" Forge and can even be used with the Razer Hydra. This is pretty much a motion tracker, not unlike the Wii Remote, which will allow for positional tracking. It's a fun try, and one that players can resort to if they want to console themselves after hearing the bad news.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers