LG G Pad 8.3 and VU 3 Receives Android 4.4 KitKat in South Korea; LG G Pad 8.3 International Firmware Leaks via XDA Developers
By Ryan Inoyori | April 2, 2014 1:27 PM EST
LG is now updating its G Pad 8.3 slate and Vu 3 in South Korea with Android 4.4 via OTA service and LG Mobile Support Tool. Additionally, LG is now working on Android KitKat updates for Optimus LTE 2, Optimus Vu 2, Optimus GK and LG GX.
LG Updates in South Korea
LG releases the official Android 4.4 KitKat firmware for the South Korean variant of G Pad 8.3 available via Over-the-Air update and LG Mobile Support Tool. The new firmware has a size of about 500 MB and includes several new tweaks for LG mobile devices.
1. User interface changes from the notifications bar to icons
2. Performance optimisations from Android 4.4
3. Improvements on processing speed
4. Various bug fixes
5. Updates for LG apps and services.
But AT&T LG G2 smartphone users can expect more from the update.
- New full-screen or immersive mode
- Improved closed captioning support
- Better security implementation
- Improved battery life
- Less power consuming on music playback
- Support for battery saving location mode
- Cloud Print service support.
For the LG VU 3, the Android 4.4 KitKat update is only available from the three network carriers in South Korea which can only be accessed via LG support Web site.
GSM Arena notes that LG also added more Android KitKat support in the region for Optimus LTE2, Optimus Vu 2, Optimus GK and LG GX. For the international model, LG included Optimus G Pro on receiving a new firmware as part of their Android KitKat upgrade plans.
International LG G Pad
For those who have enough knowledge on flashing custom ROMs or rooting any Android tablets, the LG G Pad international variant is eligible to be updated to Android 4.4 KitKat without waiting for LG to push the firmware.
XDA-Developers.com reports that XDA forum members Aeras76 and aicjofs shared the unreleased Android KitKat firmware running Android vanilla UI for LG G Pad 8.3 slate. It comes in the form of an LG-specific TOT files with build number v50018a and carries Android 4.4.2.
According to the site, it is a leaked firmware but contains essential materials that could be the real update users may expect to be released on the second quarter of the year. For those who are brave enough to try and flash the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat leaked firmware, head over to the XDA original thread and see how it goes on their LG G Pad 8.3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- The Pirate Bay Down In The US: TPB Crew Resolved The Routing Issues
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast