Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Handwriting Recognition and Three-Sided Display?
By Karla Danica Figuerres | April 2, 2014 1:15 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 might use handwriting recognition on the lock screen as the South Korean tech giant recently submitted a patent in the U.S., which outlines using handwriting recognition to perform functions from the lock screen.
There is no question that one of the most defining features of the Samsung Galaxy Note series devices is the S Pen stylus. The S Pen is not an ordinary stylus and with this handwriting recognition technology, it can actually unlock new features for its related device, which could be the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
The most obvious function of the handwriting recognition technology is to unlock the device. Basically, it recognises the handwriting of the owner and unlocks the device. The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the Galaxy Note 3 has a similar existing feature, which uses signature, but this new feature can unlock the phone even with a variety of phrases.
In the example given in the patent filed, the phrase "call mom" was written, which unlocks the device and simultaneously call the associated contact.
Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is rumoured to sport a three-sided display on release date. Lee Young Hee, Samsung Mobile chief revealed the 2014 plans of the company, which includes a release window and features for the Galaxy S5.
According to the executive via an interview with Bloomberg, the next Galaxy Note could use a "three sided display" which will allow users to read messages at an angle.
The Galaxy Note successor, which could be the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will be released Q2 this year and it will be aimed at the premium market, Hee added. If this is true, it makes sense as Samsung has also been rumoured to be developing the Galaxy Note "Lite", which is a cheaper version.
"We are targeting consumers who want more professional use and tend to be willing to pay more for handsets," Hee said.
The executive didn't elaborate further how the three-sided display will work but more reports are expected to be released in the coming months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports