FIFA World Cup 2014 – A Sneak Peek
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 2, 2014 12:30 PM EST
Soccer fans all over the world are counting the time for the inaugural game of the most coveted FIFA World Cup 2014. This year Brazil as a host nation will open the tournament on June 12. The first game will be played by the host vs. Croatia at Sao Paolo.
People look at old World Cup sticker albums during the presentation to the media of the official 2014 FIFA World Cup sticker album in Sao Paulo March 31, 2014. The sticker album was presented to the media today and will be sold in 120 countries, according to the publisher Panini.
This is for the second time Brazil will host the World Cup, the first one was held in 1950 when Uruguay took the trophy back home.
With the advantage of playing in home ground, Brazil would obviously look to clinch the title for the sixth time (Brazil won World Cup for five times and reached semifinal twice).
Thirty-two nations will participate in a swashbuckling action across 12 different venues, playing 64 matches. The final match will be played on July 13 at Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil is the mecca of soccer, having produced some of the greatest footballers the world ever produced and is producing still today.
Around 3 million people from the nation itself are expected to support the team.
As the country is expecting around 600,000 visitors during the tournament, the Brazilian Tourism Ministry have estimated R$25 will be spent by tourists, both local and foreign. Brazil expects to spend R$18.3 million for the entire tournament.
Of all the locations Rio de Janeiro is the most expensive city, and it is expected the projected daily spending for a tourist would be around R$824, including meals, lodging, shopping and transport.
The next most expensive city after Rio is Brasilia where estimated projected cost per day for a visitor is expected an average of R$412.
Brazil is expecting the highest footfall at São Paulo with an estimate of 595,000 tourists. Embratur's economist, Leonardo Garcia, cited the main reason is that the city acts as a major hub for international airlines.
"Some people should take advantage of their stop [in São Paulo] and stay for the local games," Garcia said.
While the factor seem plausible to some extent for World Cup tourists, others are expecting cities like Rio de Janeiro to draw the largest crowd. Lance Horsley, a hotelier based at Rio, expects the city to draw a big crowd compared to other cities.
"The added spotlight increases world interest, not just for the month of the World Cup. All types of hospitality business will win due to increased demand and revenue ... It seems to us that there is not really a low season in Rio anymore. So for us occupancy is already high; thus these events don't necessarily increase our occupancy rate," Horsley added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices