Iconic The Melbourne's Palace Theatre to be Demolished on May; Supporters Still Hoping Decision Will Be Altered in Facebook Page
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 2, 2014 11:05 AM EST
It is a nostalgic farewell for Melbourne's The Palace Theatre which will be closed permanently, following a demolition plan to start in May 31, 2014.
The iconic entertainment theatre was established in 1860 and became a home to world-class music acts in the region. It can cater 1855 persons in one event, and is the only theatre in Melbourne to have such large space. In 2013, the Palace Theatre's operators have been encouraging the government to preserve the century-old building, but their pleas were not given attention. In the Palace's official press release, the announcement shows the owners' regrets in finally giving up the place they believe as Melbourne's heritage in the music industry for the longest time.
Notable acts which were featured at Melbourne's The Palace Theatre include Guns N' Roses guitarist Saul Hudson, the Australian rock singer-songwriter Angry Anderson, and Andrew Stockdale from the hard rock band Wolfmother. The Palace Theatre also hosted MTV Classic Australia in 2010.
The demolition of the Melbourne's The Palace Theatre will signal a start for the owner, the China-based developer Jinshan Investments to rise a proposed 15-storey boutique hotel according to a report by The Age. The operators and Australians supporting the theatre's preservation gave their best efforts to convince the state government, but the announcement of the demolishment cemented the decision, leaving the operators with no option but to vacate.
The news of The Palace's demolition saddened some of music enthusiast and raising concerns of Melbourne missing top music acts due to lack of appropriate entertainment venue. Some Australian's are still hopeful that the decision will be altered, petitioning on a Facebook Page that acquired 33,542 likes as of this writing.
"Whilst Victorians are passionate about sport, they're really passionate about music. The Palace Theatre is a vital component of Victoria's music industry and thus must be saved. Afterall, that's what the Save the Palace campaign is all about." The Save the Palace Theatre admin stated in answer to a Facebook commenter's question of what the campaigners are "getting" by trying to save the Palace."
Whether the decision of the Melbourne's The Palace's closing would go through is still a subject to be watched for. There are two months left before the demolition, and changes are not impossible to happen during the period of time.
Read the complete The Palace press release via their Web site.
More Posts to Read:
Selfie Gone Bad: Student Breaks Century Old Statue While Taking Picture
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers