Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 4/2/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | April 2, 2014 10:22 AM EST
US MORNING REPORT
n US economic data, the ISM manufacturing index rose from 53.2 to 53.7 in March. Construction spending rose by 0.1% in February. Chain store sales rose 2.3% in the latest week compared with a year ago, down from a 3.1% gain in the prior week. And the Dallas Federal Reserve services index rose from +9.8 points to +16.5 points in March.
A man is reflected in a window as he walks past the indicator boards at the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney August 11, 2011.
European shares were firmer on Tuesday underpinned by solid French and US economic data and merger and acquisition news. There also was continued speculation that the European Central Bank will unveil fresh stimulus measures on Thursday. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose for the sixth straight session, up by 0.6% with the UK FTSE up 0.8%, while the German Dax lifted 0.5%. Mining shares posted form gains in London trade with shares in BHP Billiton up by 2.1% while Rio Tinto rose by 1.1%.
US sharemarkets recorded broad-based gains on Tuesday in response to firmer economic data. Shares in auto makers rose in response to latest sales data with Ford up 4.6%. The Dow Jones index closed higher by 75 points or 0.5% with the S&P 500 up by 0.7% while the Nasdaq rose by 69 points or 1.6%.
US treasury prices were weaker on Tuesday (yields higher) in response to encouraging economic data in the US, France and China. US 2 year yields rose by 1 point to 0.434% while US 10 year yields were up 3 points to 2.757%.
Major currencies were mixed against the greenback over the European and US sessions on Tuesday. The Euro rose from lows near US$1.3770 to US$1.3815 but ended US trade around US$1.3795. The Aussie dollar eased from highs near US92.80c to lows near US92.30c and was around US92.45c at the US close. And the Japanese yen eased from near 103.19 yen per US dollar to JPY103.71 and was near JPY103.68 at the US close.
World oil prices fell on Tuesday on expectations that data will show another lift in US commercial crude stocks in the latest week. There were also reports that Libya may re-open three oil ports representing exports of 600,000 barrels per day export capacity. Brent crude fell by US$2.16 or 2.0% to US$105.62 a barrel while US Nymex crude fell by US$1.84 or 1.8% to US$99.74 a barrel.
Base metal prices were generally higher by up to 0.8% on the London Metal Exchange on Tuesday with nickel leading the gains. But lead fell 1.0% and zinc lost 0.4%. The gold price fell on Tuesday with the Comex futures quote down by US$3.80 an ounce to US$1,280.00 per ounce. Iron ore rose by US80c to US$117.60 a tonne on Tuesday.
Ahead: In Australia job vacancies, building approvals and engineering construction figures are released. In the US, the ADP employment series, weekly mortgage data and factory orders are released.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install