Goblet Believed to Have Touched the Lips of Jesus Found in a Spanish Museum
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 2, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Two historians who say they have the evidence to prove it claim that a goblet in a Spanish museum is the same chalice used by Jesus Christ in the Last Supper, or the Holy Grail.
Christmas, meaning lost?
Book authors Margarita Torres and Jose Ortega del Rio point to a 3-year study as the basis for their theory that the onyx goblet, now covered with precious stones such as emeralds, amethysts, sapphires and pearls, is the one that touched the lips of Jesus as he established the Catholic sacrament of Holy Eucharist before he was crucified.
The relic was on display for 1,000 years at the Basilica of San Isidro in Leon, Spain and belongs to Queen Urraca from the 11th century, reports Daily Mail.
The two historians base their theory on scrolls the found in 2011 in Cairo's University of al-Azhar, written in Arabic, that states the vessel was stolen from Jerusalem by Muslims and was given to the Christian community in Egypt. At around 1050 AD, it was gifted to King Fernando I of Castile in gratitude for the monarch's sending assistance during a famine. Queen Urraca was his daughter.
Before it was placed on display in the museum, the chalice was stored at the Basilica of San Isidro.
Other churches such as the Saint Mary of Valencia Cathedral and the Montserrat Abbey near Barcelona are also believed to have possession of the real chalice, although there are supposed to be 200 holy grails in Europe.
The search for the Holy Grail by S.S. Chief Heinrich Himmler inspired the blockbuster movie Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade .
News of the goblet resulted in large crowds visiting the church to see the chalice, prompting Raquel Jaen, director of the basilica's museum, to take if off display on Friday as curators look for a large space to accommodate the crowds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More