Goblet Believed to Have Touched the Lips of Jesus Found in a Spanish Museum
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 2, 2014 9:51 AM EST
Two historians who say they have the evidence to prove it claim that a goblet in a Spanish museum is the same chalice used by Jesus Christ in the Last Supper, or the Holy Grail.
Christmas, meaning lost?
Book authors Margarita Torres and Jose Ortega del Rio point to a 3-year study as the basis for their theory that the onyx goblet, now covered with precious stones such as emeralds, amethysts, sapphires and pearls, is the one that touched the lips of Jesus as he established the Catholic sacrament of Holy Eucharist before he was crucified.
The relic was on display for 1,000 years at the Basilica of San Isidro in Leon, Spain and belongs to Queen Urraca from the 11th century, reports Daily Mail.
The two historians base their theory on scrolls the found in 2011 in Cairo's University of al-Azhar, written in Arabic, that states the vessel was stolen from Jerusalem by Muslims and was given to the Christian community in Egypt. At around 1050 AD, it was gifted to King Fernando I of Castile in gratitude for the monarch's sending assistance during a famine. Queen Urraca was his daughter.
Before it was placed on display in the museum, the chalice was stored at the Basilica of San Isidro.
Other churches such as the Saint Mary of Valencia Cathedral and the Montserrat Abbey near Barcelona are also believed to have possession of the real chalice, although there are supposed to be 200 holy grails in Europe.
The search for the Holy Grail by S.S. Chief Heinrich Himmler inspired the blockbuster movie Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade .
News of the goblet resulted in large crowds visiting the church to see the chalice, prompting Raquel Jaen, director of the basilica's museum, to take if off display on Friday as curators look for a large space to accommodate the crowds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell