Naomi Watts Regrets Playing Princess Diana
By Anne Lu | April 2, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Naomi Watts admitted that she shouldn’t have accepted the role of Princess Diana. The British-Australian actress claimed that her role as the late princess was a risk that didn’t pay off.
Presenter Naomi Watts, wearing a gown by Calvin Klein, poses for pictures at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
“Diana,” the biographical drama flick about the last two years of the Princess of Wales, was critically panned by the critics, who slammed the film’s script among other things.
Although there were some critics who praised Watts’ performance, there were also those who thought she wasn’t able to deliver. She was even nominated for the dreaded Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) for Worst Actress for her roles in both “Diana” and the equally panned “Movie 43.”
But according to the 45-year-old star, it was largely the film’s fault.
“I got seduced by the fantastic character,” she told Harper’s Bazaar. “Diana did a lot of things that had positive and negative results. She was multifaceted.”
She continued, “But ultimately, there were problems with (the film) and it ended up taking a direction that was not the one I was hoping for.”
Before taking the project, though, she knew that it was going to be a risk.
“With risk there is every chance it’s going to fail. If you have to go down with that sinking ship, so be it.”
“Diana” was basically a love story between Princes William and Harry’s mother and Dr Hasnat Khan, whom she met after her divorce from Prince Charles. The film provided details on how the two met and how they kept their relationship a secret before they split and she met her untimely death in 1997.
“Lost” star Naveen Andrews played Khan, who has said that he refused to endorse the film, saying that he wouldn’t be watching it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June