Naomi Watts Regrets Playing Princess Diana
By Anne Lu | April 2, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Naomi Watts admitted that she shouldn’t have accepted the role of Princess Diana. The British-Australian actress claimed that her role as the late princess was a risk that didn’t pay off.
Presenter Naomi Watts, wearing a gown by Calvin Klein, poses for pictures at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
“Diana,” the biographical drama flick about the last two years of the Princess of Wales, was critically panned by the critics, who slammed the film’s script among other things.
Although there were some critics who praised Watts’ performance, there were also those who thought she wasn’t able to deliver. She was even nominated for the dreaded Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) for Worst Actress for her roles in both “Diana” and the equally panned “Movie 43.”
But according to the 45-year-old star, it was largely the film’s fault.
“I got seduced by the fantastic character,” she told Harper’s Bazaar. “Diana did a lot of things that had positive and negative results. She was multifaceted.”
She continued, “But ultimately, there were problems with (the film) and it ended up taking a direction that was not the one I was hoping for.”
Before taking the project, though, she knew that it was going to be a risk.
“With risk there is every chance it’s going to fail. If you have to go down with that sinking ship, so be it.”
“Diana” was basically a love story between Princes William and Harry’s mother and Dr Hasnat Khan, whom she met after her divorce from Prince Charles. The film provided details on how the two met and how they kept their relationship a secret before they split and she met her untimely death in 1997.
“Lost” star Naveen Andrews played Khan, who has said that he refused to endorse the film, saying that he wouldn’t be watching it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast