Naomi Watts Regrets Playing Princess Diana
By Anne Lu | April 2, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Naomi Watts admitted that she shouldn’t have accepted the role of Princess Diana. The British-Australian actress claimed that her role as the late princess was a risk that didn’t pay off.
Presenter Naomi Watts, wearing a gown by Calvin Klein, poses for pictures at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
“Diana,” the biographical drama flick about the last two years of the Princess of Wales, was critically panned by the critics, who slammed the film’s script among other things.
Although there were some critics who praised Watts’ performance, there were also those who thought she wasn’t able to deliver. She was even nominated for the dreaded Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) for Worst Actress for her roles in both “Diana” and the equally panned “Movie 43.”
But according to the 45-year-old star, it was largely the film’s fault.
“I got seduced by the fantastic character,” she told Harper’s Bazaar. “Diana did a lot of things that had positive and negative results. She was multifaceted.”
She continued, “But ultimately, there were problems with (the film) and it ended up taking a direction that was not the one I was hoping for.”
Before taking the project, though, she knew that it was going to be a risk.
“With risk there is every chance it’s going to fail. If you have to go down with that sinking ship, so be it.”
“Diana” was basically a love story between Princes William and Harry’s mother and Dr Hasnat Khan, whom she met after her divorce from Prince Charles. The film provided details on how the two met and how they kept their relationship a secret before they split and she met her untimely death in 1997.
“Lost” star Naveen Andrews played Khan, who has said that he refused to endorse the film, saying that he wouldn’t be watching it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display