Naomi Watts Regrets Playing Princess Diana
By Anne Lu | April 2, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Naomi Watts admitted that she shouldn’t have accepted the role of Princess Diana. The British-Australian actress claimed that her role as the late princess was a risk that didn’t pay off.
Presenter Naomi Watts, wearing a gown by Calvin Klein, poses for pictures at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adrees Latif
“Diana,” the biographical drama flick about the last two years of the Princess of Wales, was critically panned by the critics, who slammed the film’s script among other things.
Although there were some critics who praised Watts’ performance, there were also those who thought she wasn’t able to deliver. She was even nominated for the dreaded Golden Raspberry Award (Razzie) for Worst Actress for her roles in both “Diana” and the equally panned “Movie 43.”
But according to the 45-year-old star, it was largely the film’s fault.
“I got seduced by the fantastic character,” she told Harper’s Bazaar. “Diana did a lot of things that had positive and negative results. She was multifaceted.”
She continued, “But ultimately, there were problems with (the film) and it ended up taking a direction that was not the one I was hoping for.”
Before taking the project, though, she knew that it was going to be a risk.
“With risk there is every chance it’s going to fail. If you have to go down with that sinking ship, so be it.”
“Diana” was basically a love story between Princes William and Harry’s mother and Dr Hasnat Khan, whom she met after her divorce from Prince Charles. The film provided details on how the two met and how they kept their relationship a secret before they split and she met her untimely death in 1997.
“Lost” star Naveen Andrews played Khan, who has said that he refused to endorse the film, saying that he wouldn’t be watching it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Nude Lady Gaga Turns Greek Goddess In A Sea Shell Bra And Pair Of Thongs: Shares Racy Photos From Her Bathroom
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order