Viswanathan Anand among the Greatest of Modern Times: FIDE President
By Shruthi SU | April 1, 2014 9:42 PM EST
The Candidates tournament in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia came to a close with India's Viswanathan Anand earning a right for the world title clash against Magnus Carlsen in November.
Anand's effort of a full point lead ahead of other participants was commended by FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. "In my opinion, Vishy Anand's victory is deserved and very convincing," he said adding: "He once again proved that he is one of the strongest and greatest players of modern times."
The five-time world champion was defeated in the previous world title match against Carlsen, but he is hoping to change the record this time around. Anand had last played a Candidates match 19 years ago in 1995, setting up a title clash with Garry Kasparov. Playing in the tournament this time was in itself a big surprise for Anand as he finished unbeaten and it is echoed everywhere in the chess world that his comeback is one of the greatest in chess history.
"I am obviously happy with my result, and also surprised how well everything worked out for me," Anand said. "I liked all my wins. My first-ever win against Levon Aronian with white was impressive and I was also happy with the way I played against Topalov. The one that I agreed for a draw with Dmitry (Andreikin) though I felt I could have done slightly differently."
Anand said that the main motivation for him to play the Candidates tournament came from Vladimir Kramnik. "During the Chess Classic in London in January, Kramnik lost one of those bad games against Hikaru and we went for dinner so that he could feel better," Anand added. "But it turned the other way round. He was trying to cheer me up and was persuasive about me playing Candidates."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers