Viswanathan Anand among the Greatest of Modern Times: FIDE President
By Shruthi SU | April 1, 2014 9:42 PM EST
The Candidates tournament in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia came to a close with India's Viswanathan Anand earning a right for the world title clash against Magnus Carlsen in November.
Anand's effort of a full point lead ahead of other participants was commended by FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. "In my opinion, Vishy Anand's victory is deserved and very convincing," he said adding: "He once again proved that he is one of the strongest and greatest players of modern times."
The five-time world champion was defeated in the previous world title match against Carlsen, but he is hoping to change the record this time around. Anand had last played a Candidates match 19 years ago in 1995, setting up a title clash with Garry Kasparov. Playing in the tournament this time was in itself a big surprise for Anand as he finished unbeaten and it is echoed everywhere in the chess world that his comeback is one of the greatest in chess history.
"I am obviously happy with my result, and also surprised how well everything worked out for me," Anand said. "I liked all my wins. My first-ever win against Levon Aronian with white was impressive and I was also happy with the way I played against Topalov. The one that I agreed for a draw with Dmitry (Andreikin) though I felt I could have done slightly differently."
Anand said that the main motivation for him to play the Candidates tournament came from Vladimir Kramnik. "During the Chess Classic in London in January, Kramnik lost one of those bad games against Hikaru and we went for dinner so that he could feel better," Anand added. "But it turned the other way round. He was trying to cheer me up and was persuasive about me playing Candidates."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales