Viswanathan Anand among the Greatest of Modern Times: FIDE President
By Shruthi SU | April 1, 2014 9:42 PM EST
The Candidates tournament in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia came to a close with India's Viswanathan Anand earning a right for the world title clash against Magnus Carlsen in November.
Anand's effort of a full point lead ahead of other participants was commended by FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. "In my opinion, Vishy Anand's victory is deserved and very convincing," he said adding: "He once again proved that he is one of the strongest and greatest players of modern times."
The five-time world champion was defeated in the previous world title match against Carlsen, but he is hoping to change the record this time around. Anand had last played a Candidates match 19 years ago in 1995, setting up a title clash with Garry Kasparov. Playing in the tournament this time was in itself a big surprise for Anand as he finished unbeaten and it is echoed everywhere in the chess world that his comeback is one of the greatest in chess history.
"I am obviously happy with my result, and also surprised how well everything worked out for me," Anand said. "I liked all my wins. My first-ever win against Levon Aronian with white was impressive and I was also happy with the way I played against Topalov. The one that I agreed for a draw with Dmitry (Andreikin) though I felt I could have done slightly differently."
Anand said that the main motivation for him to play the Candidates tournament came from Vladimir Kramnik. "During the Chess Classic in London in January, Kramnik lost one of those bad games against Hikaru and we went for dinner so that he could feel better," Anand added. "But it turned the other way round. He was trying to cheer me up and was persuasive about me playing Candidates."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015