NBA Recap: Pacers Lose East No. 1 as Spurs Gains 18th Straight Win
By James Patrick Quizon | April 1, 2014 9:30 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers were hoping to avoid a three-game skid when they hosted the San Antonio Spurs on Monday night. Paul George and company couldn’t snap out of their struggles however as Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and the rest of the Spurs delivered the 103-77 beating.
NBA: San Antonio Spurs at Indiana Pacers
Led by Parker (22 points), the Spurs started like a house on fire and built a 25-15 lead in the first quarter and added some more at halftime, 48-35. San Antonio never looked back and cruised to a 103-77 win for a franchise-record 18th straight victory.
Duncan only had 9 points but multiple players once again contributed in Greg Popovich's system. Kawhi Leonard had 13 points and 11 rebounds while reserves Boris Diaw (14 points) and Patty Mills (10 points) provided the production off the bench.
The Pacers were again listless on offense. Paul George, Roy Hibbert and Lance Stephenson combined to shoot just 16-of-39 from the field. All three ended up in double-figure scoring but no other player from Indiana could muster more than 7 points. As a team, the Pacers shot 26-of-69 or just 37.7 per cent.
Indiana also had more turnovers, 15-8 and San Antonio scored more in the paint, 42-28.
The Spurs look to stretch the winning run but will face three tough tests in their next three: on schedule are the Golden State Warriors, Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis Grizzlies. San Antonio is now 3 and 1/2 games ahead of OKC for the league's best record.
Meanwhile, the Pacers lost the No. 1 seed in the East to the Miami Heat, which beat the Toronto Raptors, 93-83 also on Monday.
Indiana meets Miami on April 11 and that could be crucial in deciding who will own homecourt advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?