Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Influx of Leaders Continues into TDP in Seemandhra, Sonia to Address Rally in Hyderabad on 16 April
By Rama Mohan | April 1, 2014 8:32 PM EST
The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) on 31 March 2014 received a shot in the arm, when Guntur MP and senior Congress leader Rayapati Sambasiva Rao joined it along with his kin and followers in the presence of TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu in Hyderabad. TDP is likely to field Rayapati in Narasaraopet Lok Sabha constituency against YSRCP's candidate A Ayodhyarami Reddy.
Telangana & Seemandhra
Rayapati's son Mohan Saikrishna, former Guntur mayor and younger brother and former MLC Srinivas also joined TDP along with their large number of followers.
Two other popular Congress former ministers in Krishna district - Mandali Buddha Prasad and Pinnamaneni Venkateswara Rao are tipped to join TDP on Tuesday, say media reports.
In another major development, actor Balakrishna, son of TDP founder and legendery actor NT Rama Rao, announced his entry into active politics on 1 April 2014. Balakrishna stated that he will discuss with TDP chief to decide from where to contest in the ensuing elections. He is yet to decide whether to contest to Lok Sabha or the State Assembly and informed this to media after visiting the Simhadri Appanna, the deity of Simhachalam temple near Visakhapatnam in coastal Andhra Pradesh. The actor's latest film "Legend" is released and is said to be a major success.
Naidu-Balakrishna are close relatives too. Naidu is the son-in-law of late NTR and his son Nara Lokesh married Balakrishna's daughter Brahmani.
Balakrishna planned to enter active politics to fulfill the ideals of his late father NTR and emphasised that people from two to three constituencies were bringing pressure on him to contest in the forthcoming elections. However, he made it clear that he would not leave his acting career even if he joins active politics.
In Telangana, K Chandrasekhar Rao-led Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) received a setback on Monday, when its MP G Vivekananda, along with his brother G Vinod, joined back in Congress. Vivekananda praised Congress leadership for fulfilling the long-standing demand of Telangana state creation. The new state's formation has been decided to be on 2 June 2014.
Meanwhile, Congress high command is set to release its list of candidates on 4 and 5 April for Telangana and 6 and 7 April for Seemandhra region to contest in the Lok Sabha and the State Assembly election. The party spokesperson Digvijay Singh also stated that the party president Sonia Gandhi will address a public rally in Hyderabad on 16 April.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen