Kollywood Roundup (March 2014): Buzz on Ajith, Vijay's Films; Kamal Haasan's Statement on Padma Bhushan Award and More
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 1, 2014 7:35 PM EST
Check out some of the interesting entertainment stories that made headlines in March 2014.
Vijay-Murugadoss's Film Title Announced
Ajith in "Veeram" (Facebook)
The much-awaited title of Vijay-Murugadoss's upcoming film was announced by the director.
A lot of speculations were doing the rounds as to what would be the title of the Vijay starrer. Names such as "Vaal," "Athiradi" and "Dheeran" were making headlines. But Murugadoss finally confirmed that the Vijay starrer has been titled "Kaththi."
"Happy & delighted to announce the title of my project with Ilaiyathalapathy Vijay -"KATHTHI"," Murugadoss tweeted.
The announcement sent Vijay fans into a frenzy and it became one of the hot topics discussed on social media circles.
"Kaththi", deemed as an action entertainer, will reportedly have Vijay appearing in dual roles.
The film's shooting is currently progressing at a brisk pace in Hyderabad. The first look of the Vijay starrer is expected to be out on 14 April, as a special Tamil New Year treat for fans.
"Kaththi" is gearing up for a possible release during Diwali festival period.
Kamal Haasan, Vairamuthu Honoured with Padma Awards
Actor Kamal Haasan and lyricist Vairamathu were honoured with the Padma Bhushan award, one of the highest civilian awards, by the Indian government.
President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Padma awards to the recipients in an event held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi, on Monday.
After receiving the award, Kamal released a statement, which was posted on his Facebook page. In his statement, the actor said that he pledged his commitment to the country and expressed hope that he would'nt have to leave country in anger in the future. To read the entire text, click HERE.
Inam Theatre Screening Stopped, Anjaan Shooting Disrupted
The screening of Santosh Sivan's "Inam" was stopped from 31 March following protests by pro-Eelam groups in Tamil Nadu.
The film, which is about Tamil orphans caught during the civil war in Sri Lanka, faced protests initially, which forced the makers to remove some scenes and mute a few dialogues in the film.
However, the makers decided to pull the film from theatres hours after Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) chief Vaiko issued statements against the film during the weekend.
Director-producer Lingusamy, who distributed the film in Tamil Nadu under his Thirrupathi Brothers banner, released an official statement that "Inam" will be removed from theatres from 31 March. To read the press statement, in Tamil language click HERE.
Meanwhile, a group of protesters disrupted the shooting of Suriya's upcoming film "Anjaan," directed by Lingusamy, on Sunday (30 March).
The shooting of "Anjaan" was happening in Mumbai when a group of protesters shouted slogans against Lingusamy and "Anjaan" cinematographer Santosh Sivan, who directed "Inam," for making the film. Lingusamy cancelled the film's shooting for the day, reported Sify.
Apparently, "Anjaan" shooting was resumed from the next day.
Gautham Menon Clarifies on Ajith's film
Ajith's new film with Gautham Menon is yet to go on floors. But, the film has been generating a lot of buzz among fans.
Social media circles are abuzz with loads of speculations about the film with each passing day. Recently, there was buzz that director Menon will be donning a role in "Thala 55" (tentatively titled), which is expected to kick off soon.
However, the director refuted such rumours and revealed that he was not doing any role in the film. "I can't divulge any details pertaining to the progress of the movie. It's too early to spill the beans on the project. For now, all I can say is that I'm not playing any role in the movie as speculated by unknown sources. I myself will reveal all the other details about the film at the right time," he told Deccan Chronicle.
"Maan Karate", "Naan Sigappu Manithan," "Jagajala Pujabala Tenaliraman" and "Kochadaiiyaan" Released
The trailers of upcoming releases "Maan Karate", "Naan Sigappu Manithan" and "Jagajala Pujabala Tenaliraman" were released last month.
The trailers received good response from fans and generated a lot of buzz about the films.
All three films are gearing up for April release. Sivakarthikeyan-Hansika's "Maan Karate" will be the first release of summer and the film will be out on 4 April.
Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's "Naan Sigappu Manithan" will be hitting screens on 11 April, while Vadivelu's comeback film "Tenaliraman" will be releasing on 18 April.
Rajinikanth's "Kochadaiiyaan", which was expected to release on 11 April, has reportedly been pushed to 1 May. However, an official confirmation on the film's exact release date is still awaited.
Lip-Lock Scene in "Naan Sigappu Manithan" Creates Trouble
Vishal-Lakshmi Menon's lip-lock scene in "Naan Sigappu Manithan" has created trouble for the film. The censor board has denied a "U" certificate for the film due to the lip lock scene.
The board has reportedly said that the film will get "U" rating only if the kissing scene is removed from the film, failing which it will get a "UA" certificate.
"Naan Sigappu Manithan" team has gone to the revising committee as the producers are keen to get a clean chit for the film.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies