One Direction’s Zayn Malik Death Hoax: Singer’s Alleged Death Linked to Terrorism
By Keerthi Mohan | April 1, 2014 6:53 PM EST
April Fools’ Day arrived a bit early for One Direction band member Zayn Malik, who was the subject of a death hoax late on Monday evening, when a fake report claimed that the singer was found dead in a hotel room.
The 21-year-old’s rumored death soon became a trending topic on Twitter with the hashtag #RIPZaynMalik, and many One Direction fans believed the news before it was revealed to be a hoax.
This is not the first time Malik has fallen victim to a death hoax. In 2012, another death rumor surrounding the British singer resulted in the creation of a Facebook page titled “R.I.P Zayn Malik.” At the time, Malik was said to have died of a drug overdose.
The death rumors, coupled with people suspecting him to be a member of terrorist outfit Al Qaeda prompted the singer to delete his Twitter account.
“Nasty things [were said] like I’m a terrorist, and this and that. How can you justify that? How can you call me that and get away with it?” Malik, who is of English and Pakistani descent, told Fabulous magazine in an interview in 2012, according to Sugarscape.
“You can say whatever you want about me, I’m not really bothered. But when it starts to upset people I care about or I hear about it from my mum, then that’s a problem,” he added.
Malik has since reinstated his microblogging account, but is not very active.
When Malik’s death rumors started doing the rounds on Monday, he was once again bullied by a section of Twitter users, who resorted to calling him a terrorist. One user believed that Malik died trying to blow up a bomb.
— Katy Perry Gossip (@katysdope) March 31, 2014
Zayn Malik died trying to make a bomb because one accidently blew up. 1 terrorist down. #1direction — Luke Sharples (@LookSharpulls) March 31, 2014
However, Malik’s fans have been rallying haters pointing out that as the official ambassador for The British Asian Trust, Malik has contributed a great deal for the welfare of others.
Zayn Malik the least fav of the group, gets called a terrorist, but only member to donate 500K to charity #HappyBirthdayZayn
— sabira ˘◡˘ (@MyTomlinsonNavy) January 12, 2014
If I hear someone in school tomorrow say zayn is a terrorist or rip zayn Malik I am stabbing them in the eye. #WeLoveYouZaynMalik — TYSM DANIEL!!! (@PayneInDaAzz) April 1, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around