One Direction’s Zayn Malik Death Hoax: Singer’s Alleged Death Linked to Terrorism
By Keerthi Mohan | April 1, 2014 6:53 PM EST
April Fools’ Day arrived a bit early for One Direction band member Zayn Malik, who was the subject of a death hoax late on Monday evening, when a fake report claimed that the singer was found dead in a hotel room.
The 21-year-old’s rumored death soon became a trending topic on Twitter with the hashtag #RIPZaynMalik, and many One Direction fans believed the news before it was revealed to be a hoax.
This is not the first time Malik has fallen victim to a death hoax. In 2012, another death rumor surrounding the British singer resulted in the creation of a Facebook page titled “R.I.P Zayn Malik.” At the time, Malik was said to have died of a drug overdose.
The death rumors, coupled with people suspecting him to be a member of terrorist outfit Al Qaeda prompted the singer to delete his Twitter account.
“Nasty things [were said] like I’m a terrorist, and this and that. How can you justify that? How can you call me that and get away with it?” Malik, who is of English and Pakistani descent, told Fabulous magazine in an interview in 2012, according to Sugarscape.
“You can say whatever you want about me, I’m not really bothered. But when it starts to upset people I care about or I hear about it from my mum, then that’s a problem,” he added.
Malik has since reinstated his microblogging account, but is not very active.
When Malik’s death rumors started doing the rounds on Monday, he was once again bullied by a section of Twitter users, who resorted to calling him a terrorist. One user believed that Malik died trying to blow up a bomb.
— Katy Perry Gossip (@katysdope) March 31, 2014
Zayn Malik died trying to make a bomb because one accidently blew up. 1 terrorist down. #1direction — Luke Sharples (@LookSharpulls) March 31, 2014
However, Malik’s fans have been rallying haters pointing out that as the official ambassador for The British Asian Trust, Malik has contributed a great deal for the welfare of others.
Zayn Malik the least fav of the group, gets called a terrorist, but only member to donate 500K to charity #HappyBirthdayZayn
— sabira ˘◡˘ (@MyTomlinsonNavy) January 12, 2014
If I hear someone in school tomorrow say zayn is a terrorist or rip zayn Malik I am stabbing them in the eye. #WeLoveYouZaynMalik — TYSM DANIEL!!! (@PayneInDaAzz) April 1, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air