One Direction’s Zayn Malik Death Hoax: Singer’s Alleged Death Linked to Terrorism
By Keerthi Mohan | April 1, 2014 6:53 PM EST
April Fools’ Day arrived a bit early for One Direction band member Zayn Malik, who was the subject of a death hoax late on Monday evening, when a fake report claimed that the singer was found dead in a hotel room.
The 21-year-old’s rumored death soon became a trending topic on Twitter with the hashtag #RIPZaynMalik, and many One Direction fans believed the news before it was revealed to be a hoax.
This is not the first time Malik has fallen victim to a death hoax. In 2012, another death rumor surrounding the British singer resulted in the creation of a Facebook page titled “R.I.P Zayn Malik.” At the time, Malik was said to have died of a drug overdose.
The death rumors, coupled with people suspecting him to be a member of terrorist outfit Al Qaeda prompted the singer to delete his Twitter account.
“Nasty things [were said] like I’m a terrorist, and this and that. How can you justify that? How can you call me that and get away with it?” Malik, who is of English and Pakistani descent, told Fabulous magazine in an interview in 2012, according to Sugarscape.
“You can say whatever you want about me, I’m not really bothered. But when it starts to upset people I care about or I hear about it from my mum, then that’s a problem,” he added.
Malik has since reinstated his microblogging account, but is not very active.
When Malik’s death rumors started doing the rounds on Monday, he was once again bullied by a section of Twitter users, who resorted to calling him a terrorist. One user believed that Malik died trying to blow up a bomb.
— Katy Perry Gossip (@katysdope) March 31, 2014
Zayn Malik died trying to make a bomb because one accidently blew up. 1 terrorist down. #1direction — Luke Sharples (@LookSharpulls) March 31, 2014
However, Malik’s fans have been rallying haters pointing out that as the official ambassador for The British Asian Trust, Malik has contributed a great deal for the welfare of others.
Zayn Malik the least fav of the group, gets called a terrorist, but only member to donate 500K to charity #HappyBirthdayZayn
— sabira ˘◡˘ (@MyTomlinsonNavy) January 12, 2014
If I hear someone in school tomorrow say zayn is a terrorist or rip zayn Malik I am stabbing them in the eye. #WeLoveYouZaynMalik — TYSM DANIEL!!! (@PayneInDaAzz) April 1, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand