One Direction’s Zayn Malik Death Hoax: Singer’s Alleged Death Linked to Terrorism
By Keerthi Mohan | April 1, 2014 6:53 PM EST
April Fools’ Day arrived a bit early for One Direction band member Zayn Malik, who was the subject of a death hoax late on Monday evening, when a fake report claimed that the singer was found dead in a hotel room.
The 21-year-old’s rumored death soon became a trending topic on Twitter with the hashtag #RIPZaynMalik, and many One Direction fans believed the news before it was revealed to be a hoax.
This is not the first time Malik has fallen victim to a death hoax. In 2012, another death rumor surrounding the British singer resulted in the creation of a Facebook page titled “R.I.P Zayn Malik.” At the time, Malik was said to have died of a drug overdose.
The death rumors, coupled with people suspecting him to be a member of terrorist outfit Al Qaeda prompted the singer to delete his Twitter account.
“Nasty things [were said] like I’m a terrorist, and this and that. How can you justify that? How can you call me that and get away with it?” Malik, who is of English and Pakistani descent, told Fabulous magazine in an interview in 2012, according to Sugarscape.
“You can say whatever you want about me, I’m not really bothered. But when it starts to upset people I care about or I hear about it from my mum, then that’s a problem,” he added.
Malik has since reinstated his microblogging account, but is not very active.
When Malik’s death rumors started doing the rounds on Monday, he was once again bullied by a section of Twitter users, who resorted to calling him a terrorist. One user believed that Malik died trying to blow up a bomb.
— Katy Perry Gossip (@katysdope) March 31, 2014
Zayn Malik died trying to make a bomb because one accidently blew up. 1 terrorist down. #1direction — Luke Sharples (@LookSharpulls) March 31, 2014
However, Malik’s fans have been rallying haters pointing out that as the official ambassador for The British Asian Trust, Malik has contributed a great deal for the welfare of others.
Zayn Malik the least fav of the group, gets called a terrorist, but only member to donate 500K to charity #HappyBirthdayZayn
— sabira ˘◡˘ (@MyTomlinsonNavy) January 12, 2014
If I hear someone in school tomorrow say zayn is a terrorist or rip zayn Malik I am stabbing them in the eye. #WeLoveYouZaynMalik — TYSM DANIEL!!! (@PayneInDaAzz) April 1, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery