Midwest Region of U.S. Boasts More Photosynthetic Activity Than Any Other Spot on Earth - NASA
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 1, 2014 6:48 PM EST
In a recent NASA report handed out on March 31, the Midwest region of U.S. was shown to have gained the biggest percentage in terms of photosynthetic activity during the Northern Hemisphere's growing season.
A red glow representing fluorescence measured from land plants in the U.S. Corn Belt in early July, over a period from 2007 to 2011, is seen in this undated NASA handout visualization released March 31, 2014. Data from satellite sensors show that during the Northern Hemisphere's growing season, the Midwest region of the United States boasts more photosynthetic activity than any other spot on Earth, according to NASA and university scientists.
A "red glow" appeared on the globe, marking the amount of photosynthetic activity in the region indicating the fluorescence emitted by land plants.
According to NASA and university scientists, as a result of accumulated data from satellite sensors used to measure the "fluorescence" from land plants in the U.S. Corn Belt in early July, over a period from 2007 to 2011, the region boasted "more photosynthetic activity than any other spot on Earth."
Photosynthesis, according to life.illinois.edu, is a process that introduces the energy coming from the sun into the biosphere. The Web site defined photosynthesis as a "physicochemical process by which photosynthetic organisms use light energy to drive the synthesis of organic compounds," like plants, algae and some types of bacteria.
The red glow that appeared in the U.S. Corn Belt indicated there is high productivity in the region. According to NASA, the healthy plants can convert light into energy.
"The magnitude of the glow is an excellent indicator of the amount of photosynthesis, or gross productivity, of plants in a given region," the report said.
NASA has been monitoring the "Earth's vital signs from land, air and space with a fleet of satellites and ambitious airborne and ground-based observations campaigns."
Also, NASA is continuing to integrate its facility for observing and studying the "Earth's interconnected natural systems."
In a recent report delivered by Los Angeles Times, a new field in science called "nanobionics" emerged in connection to productivity. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) scientists are conducting field studies and experiments that can boost the capability of a plant in terms of photosynthetic activity.
Nanobionics aims to create "bionic plants" that have the "capacity to increase photosynthetic activity and detect pollutants in the air."
The MIT scientists are now giving the plants extra powers that can solve problems continuously threatening the achievement of high productivity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists