Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella Isler Crowns Miss Universe-Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa, Will She Uplift the Country's Runner-up Position?
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Reigning Miss Universe Gabriella Isler has visited the Philippines to crown its newest candidate for the 63rd Miss Universe pageant.
Crowned during the height of Typhoon Haiyan in Moscow, Russia, the Venezuelan beauty served as one of the judges in the Binibining Pilipinas coronation night on March 30.
Miss Universe, Maria Gabriela Isler of Venezuela, poses backstage during the 14th Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Known as the force to be reckoned with in the world of pageantry, Venezuela considered Philippines as a great threat with four Filipinas consistently performing well in the past four years. Isler is the third Venezuelan to be named as the most beautiful woman in the universe in the last six years and the seventh contestant to take home the crown.
Part of her project as Miss Universe, Isler is also in the Philippines to raise awareness for Haiyan's rebuilding efforts, especially in the typhoon-hit areas. During a press conference on March 27, the beauty queen revealed one of the biggest fan bases of Miss Universe is the Philippines. This was the reason she feels compassion for the country, especially in time of need.
Miss Universe Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa
Crowned on March 30 at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Lastimosa will be representing the Philippines in the 63rd Miss Universe pageant. The newly crowned beauty took home the crown after trying for her third time in the pageant.
During the Q&A portion, the 26-year-old computer engineer was asked: "March is the women's month. For you, what is the greatest advantage of being a woman?"
She answered, "The greatest advantage of being a woman is being able to compose herself. Just like here, we're standing in front of thousands of people, not knowing if you're going to cheer for us or boo us. But we try to compose ourselves. We keep the emotions and show the beauty that is in us and tonight, thousands of people are standing here, celebrating the beauty of women."
The third time is indeed a charm. Lastimosa is currently enjoying her victory as she tried to uplift her country's consecutive Top 5 finishes. The last one who almost took home the MU crown is Ariella Arida during the 62nd Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, Russia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge