Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella Isler Crowns Miss Universe-Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa, Will She Uplift the Country's Runner-up Position?
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Reigning Miss Universe Gabriella Isler has visited the Philippines to crown its newest candidate for the 63rd Miss Universe pageant.
Crowned during the height of Typhoon Haiyan in Moscow, Russia, the Venezuelan beauty served as one of the judges in the Binibining Pilipinas coronation night on March 30.
Miss Universe, Maria Gabriela Isler of Venezuela, poses backstage during the 14th Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Known as the force to be reckoned with in the world of pageantry, Venezuela considered Philippines as a great threat with four Filipinas consistently performing well in the past four years. Isler is the third Venezuelan to be named as the most beautiful woman in the universe in the last six years and the seventh contestant to take home the crown.
Part of her project as Miss Universe, Isler is also in the Philippines to raise awareness for Haiyan's rebuilding efforts, especially in the typhoon-hit areas. During a press conference on March 27, the beauty queen revealed one of the biggest fan bases of Miss Universe is the Philippines. This was the reason she feels compassion for the country, especially in time of need.
Miss Universe Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa
Crowned on March 30 at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Lastimosa will be representing the Philippines in the 63rd Miss Universe pageant. The newly crowned beauty took home the crown after trying for her third time in the pageant.
During the Q&A portion, the 26-year-old computer engineer was asked: "March is the women's month. For you, what is the greatest advantage of being a woman?"
She answered, "The greatest advantage of being a woman is being able to compose herself. Just like here, we're standing in front of thousands of people, not knowing if you're going to cheer for us or boo us. But we try to compose ourselves. We keep the emotions and show the beauty that is in us and tonight, thousands of people are standing here, celebrating the beauty of women."
The third time is indeed a charm. Lastimosa is currently enjoying her victory as she tried to uplift her country's consecutive Top 5 finishes. The last one who almost took home the MU crown is Ariella Arida during the 62nd Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, Russia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko