Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella Isler Crowns Miss Universe-Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa, Will She Uplift the Country's Runner-up Position?
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Reigning Miss Universe Gabriella Isler has visited the Philippines to crown its newest candidate for the 63rd Miss Universe pageant.
Crowned during the height of Typhoon Haiyan in Moscow, Russia, the Venezuelan beauty served as one of the judges in the Binibining Pilipinas coronation night on March 30.
Miss Universe, Maria Gabriela Isler of Venezuela, poses backstage during the 14th Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Known as the force to be reckoned with in the world of pageantry, Venezuela considered Philippines as a great threat with four Filipinas consistently performing well in the past four years. Isler is the third Venezuelan to be named as the most beautiful woman in the universe in the last six years and the seventh contestant to take home the crown.
Part of her project as Miss Universe, Isler is also in the Philippines to raise awareness for Haiyan's rebuilding efforts, especially in the typhoon-hit areas. During a press conference on March 27, the beauty queen revealed one of the biggest fan bases of Miss Universe is the Philippines. This was the reason she feels compassion for the country, especially in time of need.
Miss Universe Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa
Crowned on March 30 at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Lastimosa will be representing the Philippines in the 63rd Miss Universe pageant. The newly crowned beauty took home the crown after trying for her third time in the pageant.
During the Q&A portion, the 26-year-old computer engineer was asked: "March is the women's month. For you, what is the greatest advantage of being a woman?"
She answered, "The greatest advantage of being a woman is being able to compose herself. Just like here, we're standing in front of thousands of people, not knowing if you're going to cheer for us or boo us. But we try to compose ourselves. We keep the emotions and show the beauty that is in us and tonight, thousands of people are standing here, celebrating the beauty of women."
The third time is indeed a charm. Lastimosa is currently enjoying her victory as she tried to uplift her country's consecutive Top 5 finishes. The last one who almost took home the MU crown is Ariella Arida during the 62nd Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, Russia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks