Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella Isler Crowns Miss Universe-Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa, Will She Uplift the Country's Runner-up Position?
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Reigning Miss Universe Gabriella Isler has visited the Philippines to crown its newest candidate for the 63rd Miss Universe pageant.
Crowned during the height of Typhoon Haiyan in Moscow, Russia, the Venezuelan beauty served as one of the judges in the Binibining Pilipinas coronation night on March 30.
Miss Universe, Maria Gabriela Isler of Venezuela, poses backstage during the 14th Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Known as the force to be reckoned with in the world of pageantry, Venezuela considered Philippines as a great threat with four Filipinas consistently performing well in the past four years. Isler is the third Venezuelan to be named as the most beautiful woman in the universe in the last six years and the seventh contestant to take home the crown.
Part of her project as Miss Universe, Isler is also in the Philippines to raise awareness for Haiyan's rebuilding efforts, especially in the typhoon-hit areas. During a press conference on March 27, the beauty queen revealed one of the biggest fan bases of Miss Universe is the Philippines. This was the reason she feels compassion for the country, especially in time of need.
Miss Universe Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa
Crowned on March 30 at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Lastimosa will be representing the Philippines in the 63rd Miss Universe pageant. The newly crowned beauty took home the crown after trying for her third time in the pageant.
During the Q&A portion, the 26-year-old computer engineer was asked: "March is the women's month. For you, what is the greatest advantage of being a woman?"
She answered, "The greatest advantage of being a woman is being able to compose herself. Just like here, we're standing in front of thousands of people, not knowing if you're going to cheer for us or boo us. But we try to compose ourselves. We keep the emotions and show the beauty that is in us and tonight, thousands of people are standing here, celebrating the beauty of women."
The third time is indeed a charm. Lastimosa is currently enjoying her victory as she tried to uplift her country's consecutive Top 5 finishes. The last one who almost took home the MU crown is Ariella Arida during the 62nd Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, Russia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone