Miss Universe 2013 Gabriella Isler Crowns Miss Universe-Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa, Will She Uplift the Country's Runner-up Position?
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Reigning Miss Universe Gabriella Isler has visited the Philippines to crown its newest candidate for the 63rd Miss Universe pageant.
Crowned during the height of Typhoon Haiyan in Moscow, Russia, the Venezuelan beauty served as one of the judges in the Binibining Pilipinas coronation night on March 30.
Miss Universe, Maria Gabriela Isler of Venezuela, poses backstage during the 14th Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada November 21, 2013. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Known as the force to be reckoned with in the world of pageantry, Venezuela considered Philippines as a great threat with four Filipinas consistently performing well in the past four years. Isler is the third Venezuelan to be named as the most beautiful woman in the universe in the last six years and the seventh contestant to take home the crown.
Part of her project as Miss Universe, Isler is also in the Philippines to raise awareness for Haiyan's rebuilding efforts, especially in the typhoon-hit areas. During a press conference on March 27, the beauty queen revealed one of the biggest fan bases of Miss Universe is the Philippines. This was the reason she feels compassion for the country, especially in time of need.
Miss Universe Philippines Mary Jean Lastimosa
Crowned on March 30 at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Lastimosa will be representing the Philippines in the 63rd Miss Universe pageant. The newly crowned beauty took home the crown after trying for her third time in the pageant.
During the Q&A portion, the 26-year-old computer engineer was asked: "March is the women's month. For you, what is the greatest advantage of being a woman?"
She answered, "The greatest advantage of being a woman is being able to compose herself. Just like here, we're standing in front of thousands of people, not knowing if you're going to cheer for us or boo us. But we try to compose ourselves. We keep the emotions and show the beauty that is in us and tonight, thousands of people are standing here, celebrating the beauty of women."
The third time is indeed a charm. Lastimosa is currently enjoying her victory as she tried to uplift her country's consecutive Top 5 finishes. The last one who almost took home the MU crown is Ariella Arida during the 62nd Miss Universe pageant in Moscow, Russia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones