Newcastle Knights Reports Alex McKinnon's News as "Sensationalized" by Media
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 1, 2014 5:08 PM EST
As the news unfolded of Alex McKinnon's issue as quadriplegic, the members of Newcastle Knights slammed the information as a "sensationalised" report from media.
Earlier on Monday night, Channel Nine broadcast the sordid news of Alex McKinnon that he would never be able to walk again and have to live the rest of his life stuck in wheelchair.
But the statement issued by Knights mentioned there were no such new developments to raise such concern in regard to McKinnon's health.
"Alex was brought out of an induced coma following his initial surgery last Tuesday and has been conscious since. Doctors confirmed Alex had suffered a devastating spinal injury on Wednesday ... On Sunday he was able to communicate with his family after his assisted ventilation was removed...While Alex's condition continues to improve, his body is in the first phase of recovery. As previously shared, he has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in the extent of further recovery," the Knights stated.
"The doctors explained any regeneration and recovery could [take] up to two years ... As Alex remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, visitation is restricted. Therefore coach Wayne Bennett visited on Monday without Alex's teammates as initially planned."
The Knights further confirmed that the statement released was in consultation with McKinnon's family.
"The club is extremely disappointed in the sensationalised television news story on Monday night about this tragic situation ... One of the most important factors for Alex at this time is hope, which was jeopardised by this report."
The Knight's staffs are offering their total support to McKinnon and his family at this crucial juncture. They are currently in Melbourne and requested for privacy in this respect.
Meanwhile, McKinnon's family and his partner Teigan Power showed their gratitude to the overwhelming support from public.
"We would once again like to thank the public and media for the ongoing show of concern and support for our son and partner, Alex ... While there is a lot of detail being reported about Alex's condition, it is important to remember that it is still early days for him post-injury ... Those close to Alex know he is strong, and that he is a fighter and, that alone, is reason to remain hopeful."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft