Ridley Scott's ‘Exodus’ Got A New Name, Christian Bale as Moses
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 4:42 PM EST
After the release of "Noah," Ridley Scott's upcoming epic Bible story "Exodus" is reportedly undergoing a title change. The new title "Exodus: Gods and Kings" are the two titles that Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee were brewing before they came up with the original title.
Actor Christian Bale
Since the studio could not clear the one word title, Scott is changing it to "Exodus: Gods and Kings" before wrapping its production. Written by Bill Collage, Adam Cooper and Steven Zaillian, the new biblical epic film stars Christian Bale as Moses, "Breaking Bad" star Aaron Paul as Joshua and "Avatar" actress Sigourney Weaver as Tuya.
"It's an intriguing piece, because it's very few people that I've met that have actually read the Torah, the Pentateuch, the five books of Moses, all the way through," says the "Batman" actor in an interview with HitFix. "Most people read snippets. If you read it all the way through, it's harsh. It's really 'Old Testament.' And violence in the extreme. He was not a man of any half measures whatsoever."
After his Best Actor Oscar nomination from his outstanding performance in "American Hustle," Bale is also set to appear in Terence Malick's "Knights of Cups." The actor also appeared in Scott Cooper's "Out of Furnace," a thriller film also produced by Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Related in the Bible book of Exodus, "Exodus: Gods and Kings" is an interpretation of the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt as lead by Moses. Filming began in October 2013 in Spain and 20th Century Fox published the movie's first stills on Dec. 20, 2013, and announced its release date on Dec. 12, 2014.
Based on the life and times of Moses, the film is going to be another hit for Scott who is best known for "Gladiator," "Black Hawk Down, "Bladerunner" and "Prometheus." With so many Bible related films this year, Hollywood is banking on the millions of people who know about the story as the supply of comic-book heroes seems to run dry.
Bible films to watch out for 2014 and 2015 includes "Heaven is For Real" and "Mary, Mother of Christ," a prequel to Mel Gibson's "Passion."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares