Ridley Scott's ‘Exodus’ Got A New Name, Christian Bale as Moses
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 4:42 PM EST
After the release of "Noah," Ridley Scott's upcoming epic Bible story "Exodus" is reportedly undergoing a title change. The new title "Exodus: Gods and Kings" are the two titles that Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee were brewing before they came up with the original title.
Actor Christian Bale
Since the studio could not clear the one word title, Scott is changing it to "Exodus: Gods and Kings" before wrapping its production. Written by Bill Collage, Adam Cooper and Steven Zaillian, the new biblical epic film stars Christian Bale as Moses, "Breaking Bad" star Aaron Paul as Joshua and "Avatar" actress Sigourney Weaver as Tuya.
"It's an intriguing piece, because it's very few people that I've met that have actually read the Torah, the Pentateuch, the five books of Moses, all the way through," says the "Batman" actor in an interview with HitFix. "Most people read snippets. If you read it all the way through, it's harsh. It's really 'Old Testament.' And violence in the extreme. He was not a man of any half measures whatsoever."
After his Best Actor Oscar nomination from his outstanding performance in "American Hustle," Bale is also set to appear in Terence Malick's "Knights of Cups." The actor also appeared in Scott Cooper's "Out of Furnace," a thriller film also produced by Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Related in the Bible book of Exodus, "Exodus: Gods and Kings" is an interpretation of the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt as lead by Moses. Filming began in October 2013 in Spain and 20th Century Fox published the movie's first stills on Dec. 20, 2013, and announced its release date on Dec. 12, 2014.
Based on the life and times of Moses, the film is going to be another hit for Scott who is best known for "Gladiator," "Black Hawk Down, "Bladerunner" and "Prometheus." With so many Bible related films this year, Hollywood is banking on the millions of people who know about the story as the supply of comic-book heroes seems to run dry.
Bible films to watch out for 2014 and 2015 includes "Heaven is For Real" and "Mary, Mother of Christ," a prequel to Mel Gibson's "Passion."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues