Ridley Scott's ‘Exodus’ Got A New Name, Christian Bale as Moses
By Riza Ornos | April 1, 2014 4:42 PM EST
After the release of "Noah," Ridley Scott's upcoming epic Bible story "Exodus" is reportedly undergoing a title change. The new title "Exodus: Gods and Kings" are the two titles that Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee were brewing before they came up with the original title.
Actor Christian Bale
Since the studio could not clear the one word title, Scott is changing it to "Exodus: Gods and Kings" before wrapping its production. Written by Bill Collage, Adam Cooper and Steven Zaillian, the new biblical epic film stars Christian Bale as Moses, "Breaking Bad" star Aaron Paul as Joshua and "Avatar" actress Sigourney Weaver as Tuya.
"It's an intriguing piece, because it's very few people that I've met that have actually read the Torah, the Pentateuch, the five books of Moses, all the way through," says the "Batman" actor in an interview with HitFix. "Most people read snippets. If you read it all the way through, it's harsh. It's really 'Old Testament.' And violence in the extreme. He was not a man of any half measures whatsoever."
After his Best Actor Oscar nomination from his outstanding performance in "American Hustle," Bale is also set to appear in Terence Malick's "Knights of Cups." The actor also appeared in Scott Cooper's "Out of Furnace," a thriller film also produced by Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Related in the Bible book of Exodus, "Exodus: Gods and Kings" is an interpretation of the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt as lead by Moses. Filming began in October 2013 in Spain and 20th Century Fox published the movie's first stills on Dec. 20, 2013, and announced its release date on Dec. 12, 2014.
Based on the life and times of Moses, the film is going to be another hit for Scott who is best known for "Gladiator," "Black Hawk Down, "Bladerunner" and "Prometheus." With so many Bible related films this year, Hollywood is banking on the millions of people who know about the story as the supply of comic-book heroes seems to run dry.
Bible films to watch out for 2014 and 2015 includes "Heaven is For Real" and "Mary, Mother of Christ," a prequel to Mel Gibson's "Passion."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates