April Fool’s Day Best Pranks from Google
By Athena Yenko | April 1, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Google is out and about again as sheepishly as ever with its April Fool's Day pranks.
Here are the top four pranks among the many widespread in the internet on April 1.
- The Pokemon Challenge
From Google Maps on Android, press the search bar and then 'Press to Start'. You will be routed to a 'location' where you are supposed to catch all 150 Pokemon. Through clicking each Pokemon from your Pokedex you'll get a full bio of each of them.
Google announced that it is looking for a person to take the job as Pokemon Master. In order to apply for the job, interested applicants should catch all 150 Pokemons. Deadline for application is on April 2.
"Our hiring committee must first battle to determine who can best judge the Pokemon Master. The battle date has yet to be set, so the role of Pokemon Master is not yet available," Google said in its Web site.
- Gmail Shelfies
Log in to your Gmail Account and you'll read this message:
"Selfie custom themes are incredibly popular in Gmail and they just got better. With Shelfies (Shareable Selfies) you can set your own photo as a Gmail custom theme and share it with your friends so they can enjoy looking at you as much as you do."
This allows users to have their photos as their inbox's theme. Google users can share their shelfies among each other.
The Prank: Google takes the credit of introducing the selfie trend.
In a satirical blog post, Google wrote:
"As the pioneering platform for selfies, Gmail is committed to being at the forefront of innovation in the selfie space. And we think it's a tragedy that your handsome hair, luscious lashes and beautiful brows have been trapped in your own inbox. Until now, that is."
- Emoji Translates
Open up Chrome and browse to any site, hit the menu button and select "Translate to Emoji."
The Prank: Words will translate to Emoji, that by the end of the day, people are going to read sentences by 'deciphering' Emojis for each word.
- The Magic Hand
Google Japan announces a gadget called The Magic Hand which has a controllable finger and can touch your phone's screen for you. Magic hand comes in different models to suit your mood.
Magic Hand's full spec list :
1. The number of stick: One
2. Number of buttons: One
3. Size: 100mm (W) × 390mm (H) × 180mm (D) arm when folded
580mm: the length of the arm during deployment
4. Weight: 800g
5. Operating sound: (Hand when using the cat) 30dB (standard) / 22dB
6. Battery life: 17 hours up to
7. Sensor: SOKUIKI laser sensor (Class 1 laser use), CMOS camera
8. Interface: USB 2.0 (type A) × 2, Bluetooth, wireless LAN (IEEE802.11n/g/b), IrDA
9. Accessories: Power adapter, mobile device stand, carry bag, quick instruction guide, warranty card
10. Hand replacement: Right hand (three), left hand (three), the hand of the cat, scratcher, Trump Card
The Prank: The Magic Hand does not exist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date