April Fool’s Day Best Pranks from Google
By Athena Yenko | April 1, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Google is out and about again as sheepishly as ever with its April Fool's Day pranks.
Here are the top four pranks among the many widespread in the internet on April 1.
- The Pokemon Challenge
From Google Maps on Android, press the search bar and then 'Press to Start'. You will be routed to a 'location' where you are supposed to catch all 150 Pokemon. Through clicking each Pokemon from your Pokedex you'll get a full bio of each of them.
Google announced that it is looking for a person to take the job as Pokemon Master. In order to apply for the job, interested applicants should catch all 150 Pokemons. Deadline for application is on April 2.
"Our hiring committee must first battle to determine who can best judge the Pokemon Master. The battle date has yet to be set, so the role of Pokemon Master is not yet available," Google said in its Web site.
- Gmail Shelfies
Log in to your Gmail Account and you'll read this message:
"Selfie custom themes are incredibly popular in Gmail and they just got better. With Shelfies (Shareable Selfies) you can set your own photo as a Gmail custom theme and share it with your friends so they can enjoy looking at you as much as you do."
This allows users to have their photos as their inbox's theme. Google users can share their shelfies among each other.
The Prank: Google takes the credit of introducing the selfie trend.
In a satirical blog post, Google wrote:
"As the pioneering platform for selfies, Gmail is committed to being at the forefront of innovation in the selfie space. And we think it's a tragedy that your handsome hair, luscious lashes and beautiful brows have been trapped in your own inbox. Until now, that is."
- Emoji Translates
Open up Chrome and browse to any site, hit the menu button and select "Translate to Emoji."
The Prank: Words will translate to Emoji, that by the end of the day, people are going to read sentences by 'deciphering' Emojis for each word.
- The Magic Hand
Google Japan announces a gadget called The Magic Hand which has a controllable finger and can touch your phone's screen for you. Magic hand comes in different models to suit your mood.
Magic Hand's full spec list :
1. The number of stick: One
2. Number of buttons: One
3. Size: 100mm (W) × 390mm (H) × 180mm (D) arm when folded
580mm: the length of the arm during deployment
4. Weight: 800g
5. Operating sound: (Hand when using the cat) 30dB (standard) / 22dB
6. Battery life: 17 hours up to
7. Sensor: SOKUIKI laser sensor (Class 1 laser use), CMOS camera
8. Interface: USB 2.0 (type A) × 2, Bluetooth, wireless LAN (IEEE802.11n/g/b), IrDA
9. Accessories: Power adapter, mobile device stand, carry bag, quick instruction guide, warranty card
10. Hand replacement: Right hand (three), left hand (three), the hand of the cat, scratcher, Trump Card
The Prank: The Magic Hand does not exist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October