Cost of Mailing Letters in Canada Soars to 35%
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 1, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The cost of mailing letters in Canada has recently increased to as much as 35 percent. The cost of a single, first-class stamp is now $1. Previously, mailing first-class letters within Canada only cost 63 cents.
A Canada Post employee delivers mail in Ottawa December 11, 2013. Canada's postal service will phase out urban home delivery within five years and hike the cost of postage stamps to try to stem soaring losses, the post office said on Wednesday. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Canada Post assured letter senders their stamps previously purchased at the lower price will still be accepted. They only need to buy an additional 22-cent stamp to cover the difference.
Canada Post announced in December the stamp price increase along with plans to phase out door-to-door mail delivery to the one-third of homes that still receive it. The Crown Corporation cited it needed to do the scheme to offset rising operational costs and dwindling mail volumes.
But critics said this will hurt Canadian seniors and small business owners who are the firm's most faithful customers.
"It's a concern for those that are not electronically connected. And a lot of seniors aren't," Wendy Armstrong, a policy analyst and an advocate with the Consumers' Association of Alberta, told Calgary Herald.
Also, the "wired world adds on additional costs to any household budget," she said, noting there are some who can't even afford to pay monthly Internet fees.
The stamp increase also poses a concern for small businesses that use the mail to send and receive invoices or communicate with thier customers.
This is the case of Chinook & Hobby West, a family-run shop that specializes in model trains, toys and other collectables. Snail mail is the shop's most preferred tool to send out communications to its clients from parcels to even birthday cards.
"Everybody loves to get a handwritten piece of mail," owner Valerie Gale said.
"But Canada Post is nickel-and-diming all the little guys to death. And that's us: we are the mom and pop store."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu