Cost of Mailing Letters in Canada Soars to 35%
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 1, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The cost of mailing letters in Canada has recently increased to as much as 35 percent. The cost of a single, first-class stamp is now $1. Previously, mailing first-class letters within Canada only cost 63 cents.
A Canada Post employee delivers mail in Ottawa December 11, 2013. Canada's postal service will phase out urban home delivery within five years and hike the cost of postage stamps to try to stem soaring losses, the post office said on Wednesday. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
Canada Post assured letter senders their stamps previously purchased at the lower price will still be accepted. They only need to buy an additional 22-cent stamp to cover the difference.
Canada Post announced in December the stamp price increase along with plans to phase out door-to-door mail delivery to the one-third of homes that still receive it. The Crown Corporation cited it needed to do the scheme to offset rising operational costs and dwindling mail volumes.
But critics said this will hurt Canadian seniors and small business owners who are the firm's most faithful customers.
"It's a concern for those that are not electronically connected. And a lot of seniors aren't," Wendy Armstrong, a policy analyst and an advocate with the Consumers' Association of Alberta, told Calgary Herald.
Also, the "wired world adds on additional costs to any household budget," she said, noting there are some who can't even afford to pay monthly Internet fees.
The stamp increase also poses a concern for small businesses that use the mail to send and receive invoices or communicate with thier customers.
This is the case of Chinook & Hobby West, a family-run shop that specializes in model trains, toys and other collectables. Snail mail is the shop's most preferred tool to send out communications to its clients from parcels to even birthday cards.
"Everybody loves to get a handwritten piece of mail," owner Valerie Gale said.
"But Canada Post is nickel-and-diming all the little guys to death. And that's us: we are the mom and pop store."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists