Google Nexus 6 Release Date Nears as Android KitKat 4.4.3 Upgrade to Hit Nexus 5 Soon?
By Erik Pineda | April 1, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Screenshot from YouTube Video
This possibility was revealed in an Android Police report that detailed the windfall of feature enhancements and bug fixes the KitKat update will deliver. However, the same report stopped short in saying when exactly is the new software rollout.
But a screenshot, also from Android Police (and viewable here), seems to suggest that the next Android jump is quite imminent. The image showed the Nexus 5 flashing Android 4.4.3 that was prepped for distribution last March 2014
Without assuming anything, the new KitKat arrival, which is specifically for the LG-built Nexus 5, can be expected anytime this April with the following key improvements (as provided by the supposed KitKat changelog picked up by Android Police):
§ Frequent data connection dropout fixes
§ Camera crash and optimization fixes
§ Camera focus in regular and HDR modes fixes
§ Power Manager display wakelock fix
§ Multiple Bluetooth fixes
§ Random reboot fix
§ App shortcuts sometimes got removed from launcher after update
§ USB debugging security fix
§ App shortcuts security fix
§ Wi-Fi auto-connect fix
§ MMS, Email/Exchange, Calendar, People/Dialer/Contacts, DSP, IPv6, VPN fixes
§ Activation screen crash fix
§ Missed call LED fix
§ Subtitle fixes
§ Data usage graph fix
§ Internet telephony fix
§ FCC compliance fix
Yet outside these welcome bump ups, the more exciting prospect presented by the same report is the likelihood that as soon as the Nexus 5 has chewed the upcoming KitKat build, the next focus for Google is its replacement - the Nexus 6.
This paints a solid scenario of a soon-to-happen release date for the handset, anchored on the speculation that once the task of upgrading KitKat on all Nexus devices is out of the way then preparation for the 2014 batch will be set in motion.
The soon-to-happen Nexus 6 release date could be between July and August this year, which is in line with an earlier declaration by Google Android division boss Sundar Pichai that unboxing of the smartphone is all mapped out for the second half of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones