Spoiler Alert: April Fool’s Day Pranks Coming Your Way
By Athena Yenko | April 1, 2014 3:37 PM EST
NBN Launches Kogan Drone Broadband Network (DBN)
On Tuesday, the National Broadband Network launches the Kogan Drone Broadband Network (DBN). The technology involves drones, yes drones, delivering internet straight to your homes.
The $7.3 billion technological launch was a brainchild by engineers who took matters into their own hands in the wake of budget blow-outs and delays associated with NBN.
Those Aussies who don't want to spend more than five minutes waiting for House of Cards or Game of Thrones to download will benefit from this technological advancement, according to an official press release.
The Kogan DBN is lightning fast. It literally transports data from point to point faster than any other series of tubes. We were going to make a cool video showing how the DBN works, but we wanted to deliver a broadband network on time and on budget, so we just made an image instead. Gaining access to the new DBN is simple. All you need is to have a portable hard drive ready for the drone to pick up. The drones are already in the air waiting to serve your high speed broadband needs," the statement said
iiNet Launches World's First Pet-powered Mobile Broadband Solution
Today, the leading challenger in Australia's telecommunications market, iiNet, launches what could be the world's first pet-powered mobile broadband solution in Wi-fi technology - the Pet-fi.
According to the company's official press release, Pet-fi is fueled by the users' pet's kinetic energy obtained from its movement. The Pet-fi does not need batteries to work.
"Pet-Fi not only represents a revolution in connectivity but also an opportunity to save energy and reduce impact on the environment. With a range of 30 metres, and a handy small electric shock feature which encourages your pet to stay within range, Pet-Fi allows customers to access our superfast 3G and 4G mobile broadband networks at home or on the go," the statement said.
"Fidophone" Dog-texting App from Optus
Fidophone would allow your dog to text you through both Android and iOS platforms.
It connects you to your dog round the clock with its FidoPhone and easy-to-use app.
"Designed for any domestic dog, the at-home handset allows your pet to answer your call with any one of six pre-programmed messages, including 'Hey Dad, I love you' and 'Come and play with me'. It also gives them the ability to call you if they need you, or if they just want to say they miss you," Optus said in the statement.
Trade Job for a Week with OneShift
Today, OneShift invites all to swap jobs for a week through a new online service, JobSwap.
JobSwap will eventually be launched in May but had already been tested from employers and already begun screening appropriate businesses.
The test phase was successful and OneShift hoped that the Australian business community will participate.
"Businesses that took part in the test phase reported strong demand for the JobSwap service among their employees, with sign-ups at some companies outstripping the number of available places within minutes. We had a truck driver looking to swap places with a florist and a butcher who wanted try his hand as a surgeon," OneShift founder, Gen George, said.
"Obviously, our main goal has been to sign up businesses, but once we've hit our targets, we'll flick the switch and watch with keen interest as the job swapping requests roll in. We're anticipating huge demand for the service and think it could be one of the biggest success stories of 2014," Ms George said.
Find the Right One, Shop Today
Catch Group is launching a new service online which allows users to shop around for 'the one' - the MatchOfThe Day.
MatchOfThe Day is a dating web site which matches couples by their shopping habits.
"MatchOfTheDay keeps things simple by matching you with one potential partner everyday at midday so there's no need to spend time scrolling through a list of potential partners or navigating convoluted dating websites. Customers just need to input what gender and age they're after and MatchofTheDay will do the rest," the announcement said.
"Shopping is a key activity in a couple's daily life which can often lead to arguments whether it's choosing what groceries to buy or selecting an experience to do together. We think MatchOfTheDay is the solution to such conflicts of interest by matching like-minded people together based on what they buy. Hopefully there'll be no more arguments about choosing what chocolate to buy or what branded toothpaste couples prefer as MatchOfTheDay will find you your perfect match," CatchOfTheDay's founder Gabby Leibovich said.
The 'Mouth Expander' from KFC
KFC, through its official web site, is calling all Australians to try their Mighty Burger that is too big for the average mouth with their Mouth Expander gadget.
"We made our Mighty Burger too big for the average mouth. The Mighty Burger stands a glorious 62mm tall. The average human mouth only opens to 49mm. So we needed to gain - on average - an extra 13mm. Not to worry, our R&D team has been busy collaborating with Australia's leading orthodontists to develop a solution - a simple device designed to make your mouth bigger."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date