Reliance to Keep Supplying Gas to Fertiliser Firms - Govt
April 1, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Reliance Industries(RELI.NS) has agreed to temporarily supply gas to India's fertiliser plants at current prices, although the two sides have failed to sign new deals, the top official in the fertiliser ministry said.
Reliance Industries KG-D6's floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel is seen off the Bay of Bengal in this undated handout photo.
Energy group Reliance's five-year gas supply agreements with sectors including fertiliser makers and power producers expires at midnight, requiring buyers to sign new contracts for supplies from its D6 block in the Krishna Godavari basin.
"Reliance will continue to supply gas at $4.20 (per million British thermal units). The Fertiliser Association of India (FAI) and Reliance will sit together and finalise the (next contracts) agreements as early as possible," Fertiliser Secretary Shaktikanta Das told reporters on Monday.
Das did not elaborate on the duration or other terms of potential new contracts between Reliance and the fertiliser companies.
The cabinet last year approved a formula that linked prices of locally produced gas with global benchmarks, which would have nearly doubled gas prices from current levels from Tuesday.
The Election Commission asked the government to defer the price increase until the completion of the five-week general election in the middle of May.
India's main opposition party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which surveys show is on course to become the largest parliamentary party, has said it will review the gas pricing formula if it is elected.
"We will pay the marketing margins and gas prices from the date as may be notified by the (new) government," Satish Chander, director general of FAI, said. He said he hoped the deadlock over the contracts would end soon.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28