Reliance to Keep Supplying Gas to Fertiliser Firms - Govt
April 1, 2014 3:08 PM EST
Reliance Industries(RELI.NS) has agreed to temporarily supply gas to India's fertiliser plants at current prices, although the two sides have failed to sign new deals, the top official in the fertiliser ministry said.
Reliance Industries KG-D6's floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel is seen off the Bay of Bengal in this undated handout photo.
Energy group Reliance's five-year gas supply agreements with sectors including fertiliser makers and power producers expires at midnight, requiring buyers to sign new contracts for supplies from its D6 block in the Krishna Godavari basin.
"Reliance will continue to supply gas at $4.20 (per million British thermal units). The Fertiliser Association of India (FAI) and Reliance will sit together and finalise the (next contracts) agreements as early as possible," Fertiliser Secretary Shaktikanta Das told reporters on Monday.
Das did not elaborate on the duration or other terms of potential new contracts between Reliance and the fertiliser companies.
The cabinet last year approved a formula that linked prices of locally produced gas with global benchmarks, which would have nearly doubled gas prices from current levels from Tuesday.
The Election Commission asked the government to defer the price increase until the completion of the five-week general election in the middle of May.
India's main opposition party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which surveys show is on course to become the largest parliamentary party, has said it will review the gas pricing formula if it is elected.
"We will pay the marketing margins and gas prices from the date as may be notified by the (new) government," Satish Chander, director general of FAI, said. He said he hoped the deadlock over the contracts would end soon.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop