The ‘Prophecy’ Came True: ‘Noah’ Tops US Box Office Despite Flood of Controversies
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 1, 2014 2:06 PM EST
The previous week's speculation that the film "Noah" will take over "Divergent's" top spot in the box office had been true. Despite the series of controversies, the Darren Aronofsky film was able to weather the storm and proved that a top quality film can beat even some nation's banning.
Cast member Russell Crowe attends the U.S. premiere of \"Noah\" in New York March 26, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
The epic biblical film grossed $1.6 million in its first day of release in the U.S. "Noah" has been a subject of more predictions with critics and audiences keeping their watch whether the film could reach the expected $35 million mark in its first week in the U.S. theatres. "Noah" did not disappoint though, as of this writing, the film already raked a whopping amount $44 million in the box office.
With "Noah's" success, a new prediction rose to life, although this may not be impossible to happen considering the trend of the type of movies shown by Hollywood starting this 2014. "Noah" came out this week following other faith-based movies "God's Not Dead" and "Son of God." Two other films "Heaven Is for Real" starred by Greg Kinnear and Kelly Reilly, and "Exodus: Gods and Kings" with Christian Bale to play the role of the prophet Moses are also listed in 2014 cinemas.
"I think these biblical-themed movies are like the next frontier in Hollywood. Hollywood hadn't cracked the code on a biblical movie that would have mainstream appeal. Now, I think they've figured it out," said Rentrak senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian in a BBC report.
"Noah" is a force to reckon in cinemas, and it is not far that the film could "immensely" exceed the $125 million Paramount Pictures investment. The movie already premiered in Mexico, Germany, Spain, South Korea, U.S., and Australia among others. More European countries, on the other hand, will have the first week of April to watch "Noah."
The box office success of "Noah" became the lead star Russel Crowe's success as well. The actor who previously landed supporting roles in his recent film bounced back as Hollywood's top leading men earning positive critiques with his moving performance on the film.
Andrew Pulver, a film editor for The Guardian UK, in his article, wrote "Russell Crowe is just about the only actor who could have pulled off the mixture of muttering, furrowed-brow intensity and slice-and-dice that the role calls for."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists