The ‘Prophecy’ Came True: ‘Noah’ Tops US Box Office Despite Flood of Controversies
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 1, 2014 2:06 PM EST
The previous week's speculation that the film "Noah" will take over "Divergent's" top spot in the box office had been true. Despite the series of controversies, the Darren Aronofsky film was able to weather the storm and proved that a top quality film can beat even some nation's banning.
Cast member Russell Crowe attends the U.S. premiere of \"Noah\" in New York March 26, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
The epic biblical film grossed $1.6 million in its first day of release in the U.S. "Noah" has been a subject of more predictions with critics and audiences keeping their watch whether the film could reach the expected $35 million mark in its first week in the U.S. theatres. "Noah" did not disappoint though, as of this writing, the film already raked a whopping amount $44 million in the box office.
With "Noah's" success, a new prediction rose to life, although this may not be impossible to happen considering the trend of the type of movies shown by Hollywood starting this 2014. "Noah" came out this week following other faith-based movies "God's Not Dead" and "Son of God." Two other films "Heaven Is for Real" starred by Greg Kinnear and Kelly Reilly, and "Exodus: Gods and Kings" with Christian Bale to play the role of the prophet Moses are also listed in 2014 cinemas.
"I think these biblical-themed movies are like the next frontier in Hollywood. Hollywood hadn't cracked the code on a biblical movie that would have mainstream appeal. Now, I think they've figured it out," said Rentrak senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian in a BBC report.
"Noah" is a force to reckon in cinemas, and it is not far that the film could "immensely" exceed the $125 million Paramount Pictures investment. The movie already premiered in Mexico, Germany, Spain, South Korea, U.S., and Australia among others. More European countries, on the other hand, will have the first week of April to watch "Noah."
The box office success of "Noah" became the lead star Russel Crowe's success as well. The actor who previously landed supporting roles in his recent film bounced back as Hollywood's top leading men earning positive critiques with his moving performance on the film.
Andrew Pulver, a film editor for The Guardian UK, in his article, wrote "Russell Crowe is just about the only actor who could have pulled off the mixture of muttering, furrowed-brow intensity and slice-and-dice that the role calls for."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop