The ‘Prophecy’ Came True: ‘Noah’ Tops US Box Office Despite Flood of Controversies
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 1, 2014 2:06 PM EST
The previous week's speculation that the film "Noah" will take over "Divergent's" top spot in the box office had been true. Despite the series of controversies, the Darren Aronofsky film was able to weather the storm and proved that a top quality film can beat even some nation's banning.
Cast member Russell Crowe attends the U.S. premiere of \"Noah\" in New York March 26, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
The epic biblical film grossed $1.6 million in its first day of release in the U.S. "Noah" has been a subject of more predictions with critics and audiences keeping their watch whether the film could reach the expected $35 million mark in its first week in the U.S. theatres. "Noah" did not disappoint though, as of this writing, the film already raked a whopping amount $44 million in the box office.
With "Noah's" success, a new prediction rose to life, although this may not be impossible to happen considering the trend of the type of movies shown by Hollywood starting this 2014. "Noah" came out this week following other faith-based movies "God's Not Dead" and "Son of God." Two other films "Heaven Is for Real" starred by Greg Kinnear and Kelly Reilly, and "Exodus: Gods and Kings" with Christian Bale to play the role of the prophet Moses are also listed in 2014 cinemas.
"I think these biblical-themed movies are like the next frontier in Hollywood. Hollywood hadn't cracked the code on a biblical movie that would have mainstream appeal. Now, I think they've figured it out," said Rentrak senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian in a BBC report.
"Noah" is a force to reckon in cinemas, and it is not far that the film could "immensely" exceed the $125 million Paramount Pictures investment. The movie already premiered in Mexico, Germany, Spain, South Korea, U.S., and Australia among others. More European countries, on the other hand, will have the first week of April to watch "Noah."
The box office success of "Noah" became the lead star Russel Crowe's success as well. The actor who previously landed supporting roles in his recent film bounced back as Hollywood's top leading men earning positive critiques with his moving performance on the film.
Andrew Pulver, a film editor for The Guardian UK, in his article, wrote "Russell Crowe is just about the only actor who could have pulled off the mixture of muttering, furrowed-brow intensity and slice-and-dice that the role calls for."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28