Michael Schumacher’s Fans Should Prepare Themselves for Some ‘Really Bad News,’ Says Doctor
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 1, 2014 12:51 PM EST
Seven-time Formula One (F1) champion Michael Schumacher is currently on a medically-induced coma, following his horrific skiing accident in December. As Schumacher's family, friends, and fans hope for a miracle to happen, his doctor says that waking up from his coma is an improbably event.
Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany takes the ''Michael Schumacher turn'' as he drives his car during day four of Formula One's final pre-season test at Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) in Sakhir south of Manama, March 2, 2014
A report by The Belfast Telegraph says that Schumacher's loved ones must be prepared for some "really bad news," as revealed by his doctor, Gary Hartstein.
Mr Hartstein constantly keep Schumacher's fans up-to-date with the racing champion's current condition through his blog, and on March 24, he wrote: "I worried more than a bit about what was going to happen when and if really bad news got announced," he wrote. "Somehow, I get the feeling that people are going to be ok, no matter what happens, because they've now had the time to process this all," he added.
It has been three months since Schumacher was put into a coma. He is constantly being monitored for signs of improvement or deterioration. Although there were little and encouraging signs recorded, it doesn't mean that Schumacher can really fully emerged from a coma. Even doctors cannot really say how long a person can stay in a coma or what it is going to be like if a person does wake up and come out as a coma.
Schumacher has been in the hospital long enough that Mr Hartstein suggested that it would be high time that he is brought to their home because he said that there might be another patient who "has a higher need for that bed than Michael, given his clinical situation and prognosis." According to The Belfast Telegraph, Schumacher's family had to travel 250 kilometres just to get the hospital.
Dr. Hartstein's suggestion of moving Schumacher to their home is only conceivable if an intensive care unit can be built. Schumacher's wife, Corina, is reportedly going to build an intensive care unit in their Lake Geneva home in Switzerland so that the retired German racing driver can leave the hospital.
A close family friend was quoted saying that Schumacher has so enough wealth to get him the best care that money can buy. Then again, having enough money doesn't change Schumacher's condition.
Even Mr Hartstein does not fancy the idea that a miracle can save Schumacher. "Doctors, no matter their spiritual bent, do not talk patient's families about miracles saving anyone."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff