Justin Bieber Booed at Juno Awards, Fellow Pop Stars Defend His Achievement
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Canada's own child Justin Bieber must be sharing a love-hate relation with his native country. It was quite apparent at the Juno Awards. Bieber was awarded the Juno Fan Choice Award at the annual music award ceremony for the fourth consecutive time. On the other hand, a large part of the crowd present at the ceremony booed when his name was announced.
Justin Bieber's Juno Fan Choice Award sits on a chair at the 2014 Juno Awards in Winnipeg March 30, 2014. Bieber did not attend the award show.
Bieber, nevertheless, decided not to attend the award ceremony on Sunday, March 30, in Winnipeg's MTS Center. The Hollywood Reporter said that, on behalf of Bieber, the Olympic women's curling team of Canada received the award. While there was cheer when Bieber's name was announced, there was an equally strong booing at the same time. This is, however, not the first time Bieber was booed at an award ceremony. The audience at the Billboard Music Awards 2013 heckled the 20-year-old singer while he accepted the Milestone Award. Additionally, he was booed multiple times before at sports games as well as his concerts.
Bieber did not miss the opportunity to thank his "beliebers" on the occasion of winning the award for the fourth time in a row. He posted on his official Twitter account and broke the news. In addition, he posted another tweet where he reassured his fans that he would never "leave" them as long as they were "with" him.
We won #JUNOFanChoice for the 4th year in a row! Love to all my beliebers. Thank u. Love u
Even though the audience did not appreciate Bieber much at the show, some of his fellow pop stars spoke favourably about him. Canadian rock duo Tegan and Sara discouraged the public reaction and said that the booing was "not very Canadian," Huffington Post Canada reported. Tegan called Bieber "really talented." She said that she, along with her sister Sara, made "worse mistakes" than Bieber in their life before they became famous."
Musician Serena Ryder, too, was critical about the booing. She said that Bieber was an "amazing musician." She said that Bieber deserved the award as he worked his as* off all his life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight