Justin Bieber Booed at Juno Awards, Fellow Pop Stars Defend His Achievement
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Canada's own child Justin Bieber must be sharing a love-hate relation with his native country. It was quite apparent at the Juno Awards. Bieber was awarded the Juno Fan Choice Award at the annual music award ceremony for the fourth consecutive time. On the other hand, a large part of the crowd present at the ceremony booed when his name was announced.
Justin Bieber's Juno Fan Choice Award sits on a chair at the 2014 Juno Awards in Winnipeg March 30, 2014. Bieber did not attend the award show.
Bieber, nevertheless, decided not to attend the award ceremony on Sunday, March 30, in Winnipeg's MTS Center. The Hollywood Reporter said that, on behalf of Bieber, the Olympic women's curling team of Canada received the award. While there was cheer when Bieber's name was announced, there was an equally strong booing at the same time. This is, however, not the first time Bieber was booed at an award ceremony. The audience at the Billboard Music Awards 2013 heckled the 20-year-old singer while he accepted the Milestone Award. Additionally, he was booed multiple times before at sports games as well as his concerts.
Bieber did not miss the opportunity to thank his "beliebers" on the occasion of winning the award for the fourth time in a row. He posted on his official Twitter account and broke the news. In addition, he posted another tweet where he reassured his fans that he would never "leave" them as long as they were "with" him.
We won #JUNOFanChoice for the 4th year in a row! Love to all my beliebers. Thank u. Love u
Even though the audience did not appreciate Bieber much at the show, some of his fellow pop stars spoke favourably about him. Canadian rock duo Tegan and Sara discouraged the public reaction and said that the booing was "not very Canadian," Huffington Post Canada reported. Tegan called Bieber "really talented." She said that she, along with her sister Sara, made "worse mistakes" than Bieber in their life before they became famous."
Musician Serena Ryder, too, was critical about the booing. She said that Bieber was an "amazing musician." She said that Bieber deserved the award as he worked his as* off all his life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports