Justin Bieber Booed at Juno Awards, Fellow Pop Stars Defend His Achievement
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Canada's own child Justin Bieber must be sharing a love-hate relation with his native country. It was quite apparent at the Juno Awards. Bieber was awarded the Juno Fan Choice Award at the annual music award ceremony for the fourth consecutive time. On the other hand, a large part of the crowd present at the ceremony booed when his name was announced.
Justin Bieber's Juno Fan Choice Award sits on a chair at the 2014 Juno Awards in Winnipeg March 30, 2014. Bieber did not attend the award show.
Bieber, nevertheless, decided not to attend the award ceremony on Sunday, March 30, in Winnipeg's MTS Center. The Hollywood Reporter said that, on behalf of Bieber, the Olympic women's curling team of Canada received the award. While there was cheer when Bieber's name was announced, there was an equally strong booing at the same time. This is, however, not the first time Bieber was booed at an award ceremony. The audience at the Billboard Music Awards 2013 heckled the 20-year-old singer while he accepted the Milestone Award. Additionally, he was booed multiple times before at sports games as well as his concerts.
Bieber did not miss the opportunity to thank his "beliebers" on the occasion of winning the award for the fourth time in a row. He posted on his official Twitter account and broke the news. In addition, he posted another tweet where he reassured his fans that he would never "leave" them as long as they were "with" him.
We won #JUNOFanChoice for the 4th year in a row! Love to all my beliebers. Thank u. Love u
Even though the audience did not appreciate Bieber much at the show, some of his fellow pop stars spoke favourably about him. Canadian rock duo Tegan and Sara discouraged the public reaction and said that the booing was "not very Canadian," Huffington Post Canada reported. Tegan called Bieber "really talented." She said that she, along with her sister Sara, made "worse mistakes" than Bieber in their life before they became famous."
Musician Serena Ryder, too, was critical about the booing. She said that Bieber was an "amazing musician." She said that Bieber deserved the award as he worked his as* off all his life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best