‘How I Met Your Mother’ Series Finale Recap: The Mother’s Name, Robin & Barney’s Marriage Revealed
By Anne Lu | April 1, 2014 12:46 PM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” has aired its much anticipated finale on Monday in the U.S. And the ending seems to have a polarising effect on the viewers. No one seemed to be undecided; they either love it so much or hate it a lot.
Spoiler ahead: Don’t read further if you haven’t watched the episode yet.
First up, yes, the “Mother” is dead.
As the fans have feared since the beginning of the show, Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) has been telling his story to his kids because the mother is dead in the year 2030. The Mother died of illness offscreen.
The Mother’s name is Tracy.
After being nameless for the whole of season nine, The Mother (Cristin Milioti) has finally been named in the last episode of the show titled “Last Forever,” and it’s Tracy. She and Ted didn’t get married until they had their children Penny and Luke (Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie).
Barney and Robin
Unfortunately, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders) divorced three years later. They have just gotten married in the last episode, but Robin’s work schedule became too much for both of them to handle.
Barney eventually impregnated a woman in 2019, and the birth of his daughter prompted him to change his bachelor lifestyle.
Marshall and Lily
If there’s one constant thing that viewers can depend on the show, it’s Marshall (Jason Segel) and Lily’s (Alyson Hannigan) marriage. It’s no surprise that they remained tied to each other (older Ted’s stories always include them still being married to and happy with each other). Marshall became a judge in Queens, and Lily gave birth to their third child.
Ted and Robin
So it’s back to square one for Ted and Robin in the future. When Ted was narrating his love life (lives?) to his children in 2030, Tracy has been dead for six years. And apparently, he was being open with his kids because he wanted their permission to date “Aunt Robin,” which they gave him.
In the end, Ted arrived at Robin’s apartment with the blue French horn.
If the fans are asked, the finale either disappointed or satisfied them. Although they already had a nagging feeling that the Mother would die in the ending, some viewers still felt betrayed. According to them, it’s not so much that the Mother died, although it’s preferable that she didn’t, but that Ted ended up with Robin after all.
There were others who didn’t mind, though. In fact, they thought that it’s one of the best endings of a sitcom ever.
Here are the fans’ reactions on Twitter:
— Katy Hill (@girlandthegood) April 1, 2014
Crying my eyes out. Best series finale ever. #HIMYMFarewell — Lexie Evans (@LexieEvans) April 1, 2014
— Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey) April 1, 2014
The writers have outdone themselves for the finale, pure perfection #HIMYMFarewell — David Ackerman (@daveack20) April 1, 2014
— Emi. (@EmiliaAntunezM) April 1, 2014
Sorry @HIMYM_CBS you are so much better than that. We gave you 9 years, and you go the predictable route? Worst. #HIMYMFarewell — Amberly McAteer (@amberlym) April 1, 2014
— Steffi Nazaire (@pretttyinplum) April 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu