‘How I Met Your Mother’ Series Finale Recap: The Mother’s Name, Robin & Barney’s Marriage Revealed
By Anne Lu | April 1, 2014 12:46 PM EST
“How I Met Your Mother” has aired its much anticipated finale on Monday in the U.S. And the ending seems to have a polarising effect on the viewers. No one seemed to be undecided; they either love it so much or hate it a lot.
Spoiler ahead: Don’t read further if you haven’t watched the episode yet.
First up, yes, the “Mother” is dead.
As the fans have feared since the beginning of the show, Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) has been telling his story to his kids because the mother is dead in the year 2030. The Mother died of illness offscreen.
The Mother’s name is Tracy.
After being nameless for the whole of season nine, The Mother (Cristin Milioti) has finally been named in the last episode of the show titled “Last Forever,” and it’s Tracy. She and Ted didn’t get married until they had their children Penny and Luke (Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie).
Barney and Robin
Unfortunately, Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders) divorced three years later. They have just gotten married in the last episode, but Robin’s work schedule became too much for both of them to handle.
Barney eventually impregnated a woman in 2019, and the birth of his daughter prompted him to change his bachelor lifestyle.
Marshall and Lily
If there’s one constant thing that viewers can depend on the show, it’s Marshall (Jason Segel) and Lily’s (Alyson Hannigan) marriage. It’s no surprise that they remained tied to each other (older Ted’s stories always include them still being married to and happy with each other). Marshall became a judge in Queens, and Lily gave birth to their third child.
Ted and Robin
So it’s back to square one for Ted and Robin in the future. When Ted was narrating his love life (lives?) to his children in 2030, Tracy has been dead for six years. And apparently, he was being open with his kids because he wanted their permission to date “Aunt Robin,” which they gave him.
In the end, Ted arrived at Robin’s apartment with the blue French horn.
If the fans are asked, the finale either disappointed or satisfied them. Although they already had a nagging feeling that the Mother would die in the ending, some viewers still felt betrayed. According to them, it’s not so much that the Mother died, although it’s preferable that she didn’t, but that Ted ended up with Robin after all.
There were others who didn’t mind, though. In fact, they thought that it’s one of the best endings of a sitcom ever.
Here are the fans’ reactions on Twitter:
— Katy Hill (@girlandthegood) April 1, 2014
Crying my eyes out. Best series finale ever. #HIMYMFarewell — Lexie Evans (@LexieEvans) April 1, 2014
— Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey) April 1, 2014
The writers have outdone themselves for the finale, pure perfection #HIMYMFarewell — David Ackerman (@daveack20) April 1, 2014
— Emi. (@EmiliaAntunezM) April 1, 2014
Sorry @HIMYM_CBS you are so much better than that. We gave you 9 years, and you go the predictable route? Worst. #HIMYMFarewell — Amberly McAteer (@amberlym) April 1, 2014
— Steffi Nazaire (@pretttyinplum) April 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air