News Anchor Josh Elliott Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Joins ABC GMA Team
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Josh Elliott will no longer be a part of the iconic television show "Good Morning America." Mr Elliott left the show apparently to join NBC Sports. The ABC News show has been running successfully since 1975.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mr Elliott will have a prominent role to play for NBC Sports. His responsibilities will reportedly include the coverage of Sunday Night Football, the Olympics and the Triple Crown. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, is not expected to replace any on-air analyst who is presently working for the channel. One may expect NBC Sports to make the announcement official announcement this week.
Mr Elliott reportedly informed ABC authorities on Sunday, March 30, that he would no longer want to be a part of the network. The decision of leaving ABC network apparently came after Mr Elliott had heated negotiations with the ABC for several months. Ben Sherwood, the president of ABC News, informed the staffers about Mr Elliott's decision in an email. It said that Amy Robach would replace Mr Elliott on the morning show, Good Morning America.
— Josh Elliott (@JoshElliottABC) March 31, 2014
Even Mr Elliott tweeted, congratulating Ms Robach. He called her "most deserving". He also wrote that the show would be "better" because of her presence. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, expected a "different deal" from the network. When it did not work out, he "chose a new path", Mr Sherwood said in his email. Mr Sherwood referred to Ms Robach as a "world-class anchor."
According to The Hollywood Reporter sources, Mr Elliott was offered up to $5 million, whereas he was getting $800,000. However, Mr Elliott still decided to leave the network. This is the second time in the last four months that GMA lost its anchor. Weather forecaster Sam Champion earlier left the network to join The Weather Channel owned by NBC Universal.
ABC News, meanwhile, will try its best to remain at the top spot in morning television. Mr Sherwood said in his email that Ms Robach would be a "fierce and formidable" addition to the GMA team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013