News Anchor Josh Elliott Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Joins ABC GMA Team
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Josh Elliott will no longer be a part of the iconic television show "Good Morning America." Mr Elliott left the show apparently to join NBC Sports. The ABC News show has been running successfully since 1975.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mr Elliott will have a prominent role to play for NBC Sports. His responsibilities will reportedly include the coverage of Sunday Night Football, the Olympics and the Triple Crown. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, is not expected to replace any on-air analyst who is presently working for the channel. One may expect NBC Sports to make the announcement official announcement this week.
Mr Elliott reportedly informed ABC authorities on Sunday, March 30, that he would no longer want to be a part of the network. The decision of leaving ABC network apparently came after Mr Elliott had heated negotiations with the ABC for several months. Ben Sherwood, the president of ABC News, informed the staffers about Mr Elliott's decision in an email. It said that Amy Robach would replace Mr Elliott on the morning show, Good Morning America.
— Josh Elliott (@JoshElliottABC) March 31, 2014
Even Mr Elliott tweeted, congratulating Ms Robach. He called her "most deserving". He also wrote that the show would be "better" because of her presence. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, expected a "different deal" from the network. When it did not work out, he "chose a new path", Mr Sherwood said in his email. Mr Sherwood referred to Ms Robach as a "world-class anchor."
According to The Hollywood Reporter sources, Mr Elliott was offered up to $5 million, whereas he was getting $800,000. However, Mr Elliott still decided to leave the network. This is the second time in the last four months that GMA lost its anchor. Weather forecaster Sam Champion earlier left the network to join The Weather Channel owned by NBC Universal.
ABC News, meanwhile, will try its best to remain at the top spot in morning television. Mr Sherwood said in his email that Ms Robach would be a "fierce and formidable" addition to the GMA team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales