News Anchor Josh Elliott Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Joins ABC GMA Team
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Josh Elliott will no longer be a part of the iconic television show "Good Morning America." Mr Elliott left the show apparently to join NBC Sports. The ABC News show has been running successfully since 1975.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mr Elliott will have a prominent role to play for NBC Sports. His responsibilities will reportedly include the coverage of Sunday Night Football, the Olympics and the Triple Crown. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, is not expected to replace any on-air analyst who is presently working for the channel. One may expect NBC Sports to make the announcement official announcement this week.
Mr Elliott reportedly informed ABC authorities on Sunday, March 30, that he would no longer want to be a part of the network. The decision of leaving ABC network apparently came after Mr Elliott had heated negotiations with the ABC for several months. Ben Sherwood, the president of ABC News, informed the staffers about Mr Elliott's decision in an email. It said that Amy Robach would replace Mr Elliott on the morning show, Good Morning America.
— Josh Elliott (@JoshElliottABC) March 31, 2014
Even Mr Elliott tweeted, congratulating Ms Robach. He called her "most deserving". He also wrote that the show would be "better" because of her presence. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, expected a "different deal" from the network. When it did not work out, he "chose a new path", Mr Sherwood said in his email. Mr Sherwood referred to Ms Robach as a "world-class anchor."
According to The Hollywood Reporter sources, Mr Elliott was offered up to $5 million, whereas he was getting $800,000. However, Mr Elliott still decided to leave the network. This is the second time in the last four months that GMA lost its anchor. Weather forecaster Sam Champion earlier left the network to join The Weather Channel owned by NBC Universal.
ABC News, meanwhile, will try its best to remain at the top spot in morning television. Mr Sherwood said in his email that Ms Robach would be a "fierce and formidable" addition to the GMA team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU