News Anchor Josh Elliott Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Joins ABC GMA Team
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Josh Elliott will no longer be a part of the iconic television show "Good Morning America." Mr Elliott left the show apparently to join NBC Sports. The ABC News show has been running successfully since 1975.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mr Elliott will have a prominent role to play for NBC Sports. His responsibilities will reportedly include the coverage of Sunday Night Football, the Olympics and the Triple Crown. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, is not expected to replace any on-air analyst who is presently working for the channel. One may expect NBC Sports to make the announcement official announcement this week.
Mr Elliott reportedly informed ABC authorities on Sunday, March 30, that he would no longer want to be a part of the network. The decision of leaving ABC network apparently came after Mr Elliott had heated negotiations with the ABC for several months. Ben Sherwood, the president of ABC News, informed the staffers about Mr Elliott's decision in an email. It said that Amy Robach would replace Mr Elliott on the morning show, Good Morning America.
— Josh Elliott (@JoshElliottABC) March 31, 2014
Even Mr Elliott tweeted, congratulating Ms Robach. He called her "most deserving". He also wrote that the show would be "better" because of her presence. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, expected a "different deal" from the network. When it did not work out, he "chose a new path", Mr Sherwood said in his email. Mr Sherwood referred to Ms Robach as a "world-class anchor."
According to The Hollywood Reporter sources, Mr Elliott was offered up to $5 million, whereas he was getting $800,000. However, Mr Elliott still decided to leave the network. This is the second time in the last four months that GMA lost its anchor. Weather forecaster Sam Champion earlier left the network to join The Weather Channel owned by NBC Universal.
ABC News, meanwhile, will try its best to remain at the top spot in morning television. Mr Sherwood said in his email that Ms Robach would be a "fierce and formidable" addition to the GMA team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools