News Anchor Josh Elliott Leaves ‘Good Morning America’ for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Joins ABC GMA Team
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 1, 2014 12:36 PM EST
Josh Elliott will no longer be a part of the iconic television show "Good Morning America." Mr Elliott left the show apparently to join NBC Sports. The ABC News show has been running successfully since 1975.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mr Elliott will have a prominent role to play for NBC Sports. His responsibilities will reportedly include the coverage of Sunday Night Football, the Olympics and the Triple Crown. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, is not expected to replace any on-air analyst who is presently working for the channel. One may expect NBC Sports to make the announcement official announcement this week.
Mr Elliott reportedly informed ABC authorities on Sunday, March 30, that he would no longer want to be a part of the network. The decision of leaving ABC network apparently came after Mr Elliott had heated negotiations with the ABC for several months. Ben Sherwood, the president of ABC News, informed the staffers about Mr Elliott's decision in an email. It said that Amy Robach would replace Mr Elliott on the morning show, Good Morning America.
— Josh Elliott (@JoshElliottABC) March 31, 2014
Even Mr Elliott tweeted, congratulating Ms Robach. He called her "most deserving". He also wrote that the show would be "better" because of her presence. Mr Elliott, on the other hand, expected a "different deal" from the network. When it did not work out, he "chose a new path", Mr Sherwood said in his email. Mr Sherwood referred to Ms Robach as a "world-class anchor."
According to The Hollywood Reporter sources, Mr Elliott was offered up to $5 million, whereas he was getting $800,000. However, Mr Elliott still decided to leave the network. This is the second time in the last four months that GMA lost its anchor. Weather forecaster Sam Champion earlier left the network to join The Weather Channel owned by NBC Universal.
ABC News, meanwhile, will try its best to remain at the top spot in morning television. Mr Sherwood said in his email that Ms Robach would be a "fierce and formidable" addition to the GMA team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date