Marcos Maidana Seems a Long Shot for Floyd Mayweather Fight, But a Contest Against the Undefeated Boxer Has Already Made Him a Winner
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 1, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Both Marcos Maidana and Floyd Mayweather are coming off a pivotal win against Adrien Broner and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013, respectively. Maidana knows that his Mayweather fight is a long shot, and people like to believe that the Argentinean boxer isn't likely to win. Even so, Maidana is already a winner just being able to get a shot and land a fight with the undefeated pound-for-pound boxer.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Maidana's trainer Rober Garcia told Esnewsreporting that the World Boxing Association (WBA) current welterweight champion doesn't mind being called the underdog in his upcoming clash with Mayweather on May 3. "He likes to be the underdog," said Garcia. According to Garcia, Maidana likes the idea that he is being put forward just to get beaten, and he wants to prove all the people wrong. "He plans on doing it one more time," Garcia added.
In his recent fight with Broner in December, Maidana was the underdog. Broner, who is friends with Mayweather, was clearly a crowd favourite, but Maidana proved everybody who doubted him wrong after knocking Broner down in the second and eighth rounds. Since then, Maidana has risen to star status.
On May 3, Maidana will get another chance to impress the boxing world. However, winning against Mayweather would not be really easy for Maidana to accomplish. He really has to knock Mayweather, but the undefeated American boxer would clearly not give him a chance of doing so.
Whether Maidana wins or not, just inking a contest with Mayweather has already made him a winner. People are now talking more about him. It is free publicity. Of course, Maidana has to display great boxing skills against Mayweather so that even if he doesn't win, all the media hype and publicity surrounding him as he prepares for the big fight can translate into more revenues for the Argentinean boxer.
A report by the Miami Herald stated that "A bout against Mayweather immediately enhances a fighter's profile and payday." All in all, Maidana may really seem a long shot for Mayweather, but who cares, just landing a fight with the American boxer has already made him a winner, and beating him would just be an added bonus for the Argentinean boxer.
MORE BOXING NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display