Marcos Maidana Seems a Long Shot for Floyd Mayweather Fight, But a Contest Against the Undefeated Boxer Has Already Made Him a Winner
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 1, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Both Marcos Maidana and Floyd Mayweather are coming off a pivotal win against Adrien Broner and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013, respectively. Maidana knows that his Mayweather fight is a long shot, and people like to believe that the Argentinean boxer isn't likely to win. Even so, Maidana is already a winner just being able to get a shot and land a fight with the undefeated pound-for-pound boxer.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Maidana's trainer Rober Garcia told Esnewsreporting that the World Boxing Association (WBA) current welterweight champion doesn't mind being called the underdog in his upcoming clash with Mayweather on May 3. "He likes to be the underdog," said Garcia. According to Garcia, Maidana likes the idea that he is being put forward just to get beaten, and he wants to prove all the people wrong. "He plans on doing it one more time," Garcia added.
In his recent fight with Broner in December, Maidana was the underdog. Broner, who is friends with Mayweather, was clearly a crowd favourite, but Maidana proved everybody who doubted him wrong after knocking Broner down in the second and eighth rounds. Since then, Maidana has risen to star status.
On May 3, Maidana will get another chance to impress the boxing world. However, winning against Mayweather would not be really easy for Maidana to accomplish. He really has to knock Mayweather, but the undefeated American boxer would clearly not give him a chance of doing so.
Whether Maidana wins or not, just inking a contest with Mayweather has already made him a winner. People are now talking more about him. It is free publicity. Of course, Maidana has to display great boxing skills against Mayweather so that even if he doesn't win, all the media hype and publicity surrounding him as he prepares for the big fight can translate into more revenues for the Argentinean boxer.
A report by the Miami Herald stated that "A bout against Mayweather immediately enhances a fighter's profile and payday." All in all, Maidana may really seem a long shot for Mayweather, but who cares, just landing a fight with the American boxer has already made him a winner, and beating him would just be an added bonus for the Argentinean boxer.
MORE BOXING NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People