Marcos Maidana Seems a Long Shot for Floyd Mayweather Fight, But a Contest Against the Undefeated Boxer Has Already Made Him a Winner
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 1, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Both Marcos Maidana and Floyd Mayweather are coming off a pivotal win against Adrien Broner and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013, respectively. Maidana knows that his Mayweather fight is a long shot, and people like to believe that the Argentinean boxer isn't likely to win. Even so, Maidana is already a winner just being able to get a shot and land a fight with the undefeated pound-for-pound boxer.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Maidana's trainer Rober Garcia told Esnewsreporting that the World Boxing Association (WBA) current welterweight champion doesn't mind being called the underdog in his upcoming clash with Mayweather on May 3. "He likes to be the underdog," said Garcia. According to Garcia, Maidana likes the idea that he is being put forward just to get beaten, and he wants to prove all the people wrong. "He plans on doing it one more time," Garcia added.
In his recent fight with Broner in December, Maidana was the underdog. Broner, who is friends with Mayweather, was clearly a crowd favourite, but Maidana proved everybody who doubted him wrong after knocking Broner down in the second and eighth rounds. Since then, Maidana has risen to star status.
On May 3, Maidana will get another chance to impress the boxing world. However, winning against Mayweather would not be really easy for Maidana to accomplish. He really has to knock Mayweather, but the undefeated American boxer would clearly not give him a chance of doing so.
Whether Maidana wins or not, just inking a contest with Mayweather has already made him a winner. People are now talking more about him. It is free publicity. Of course, Maidana has to display great boxing skills against Mayweather so that even if he doesn't win, all the media hype and publicity surrounding him as he prepares for the big fight can translate into more revenues for the Argentinean boxer.
A report by the Miami Herald stated that "A bout against Mayweather immediately enhances a fighter's profile and payday." All in all, Maidana may really seem a long shot for Mayweather, but who cares, just landing a fight with the American boxer has already made him a winner, and beating him would just be an added bonus for the Argentinean boxer.
MORE BOXING NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?