Marcos Maidana Seems a Long Shot for Floyd Mayweather Fight, But a Contest Against the Undefeated Boxer Has Already Made Him a Winner
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 1, 2014 12:33 PM EST
Both Marcos Maidana and Floyd Mayweather are coming off a pivotal win against Adrien Broner and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013, respectively. Maidana knows that his Mayweather fight is a long shot, and people like to believe that the Argentinean boxer isn't likely to win. Even so, Maidana is already a winner just being able to get a shot and land a fight with the undefeated pound-for-pound boxer.
Argentine boxer Marcos "Chino" Maidana, the current WBA welterweight champion, poses before a news conference in Buenos Aires March 13, 2014. Maidana will face WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather of the U.S. in a unification title bout on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian
Maidana's trainer Rober Garcia told Esnewsreporting that the World Boxing Association (WBA) current welterweight champion doesn't mind being called the underdog in his upcoming clash with Mayweather on May 3. "He likes to be the underdog," said Garcia. According to Garcia, Maidana likes the idea that he is being put forward just to get beaten, and he wants to prove all the people wrong. "He plans on doing it one more time," Garcia added.
In his recent fight with Broner in December, Maidana was the underdog. Broner, who is friends with Mayweather, was clearly a crowd favourite, but Maidana proved everybody who doubted him wrong after knocking Broner down in the second and eighth rounds. Since then, Maidana has risen to star status.
On May 3, Maidana will get another chance to impress the boxing world. However, winning against Mayweather would not be really easy for Maidana to accomplish. He really has to knock Mayweather, but the undefeated American boxer would clearly not give him a chance of doing so.
Whether Maidana wins or not, just inking a contest with Mayweather has already made him a winner. People are now talking more about him. It is free publicity. Of course, Maidana has to display great boxing skills against Mayweather so that even if he doesn't win, all the media hype and publicity surrounding him as he prepares for the big fight can translate into more revenues for the Argentinean boxer.
A report by the Miami Herald stated that "A bout against Mayweather immediately enhances a fighter's profile and payday." All in all, Maidana may really seem a long shot for Mayweather, but who cares, just landing a fight with the American boxer has already made him a winner, and beating him would just be an added bonus for the Argentinean boxer.
MORE BOXING NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped