2014 Lunar Eclipse: ‘Full Pink Moon’ To Appear on April 15, What Time to Best View
By Jenalyn Villamarin | April 1, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Mark the calendar! A "Full Pink Moon" is set to appear on Tuesday, April 15. The Moon will not really have a pink or red colour but the name of the upcoming 2014 Lunar Eclipse came from the springtime bloom of the moss pink spring flower, according to The Old Farmer's Almanac.
"April's Full Moon, Full Pink Moon, heralds the appearance of the moss pink, or wild ground phlox-one of the first spring flowers. It is also known as the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and the Fish Moon," the description read. According to the Epoch Times report, the Full Moon will occur on April 15, 2014 at 3:42 am ET.
The upcoming 2014 Lunar Eclipse will begin at 2 am EST with the Moon appearing completely red at approximately 3 am. The occurrence is expected to end at about 4:25 am.
The Moon will be having a red shade because the sunlight passing through the Earth's atmosphere becomes tinted red as seen during sunrise and sunset. Throughout the total eclipse, the red light coming from the Earth's atmosphere reaches the Moon so the colour becomes red.
The 2014 Lunar Eclipse is expected to be visible to the sky watchers across North America as well as the entire United States. Additionally, the lunar event is predicted to be the first of the four total eclipses, a phenomenon called as the tetrad, set to occur over the next year-and-a-half with intervals of two months.
"During the 21st century, there are 9 sets of tetrads, so I would describe tetrads as a frequent occurrence in the current pattern of lunar eclipses," NASA eclipse expert Fred Espenak stated in the Red Orbit report. He further added: "But this has not always been the case. During the three hundred year interval from 1600 to 1900, for instance, there were no tetrads at all. The most unique thing about the 2014-2015 tetrad is that all of (eclipses) are visible for all or parts of the USA."
After the lunar eclipse on April 15, the next one will happen on October 8, 2014. The other two eclipses of the tetrad is set to take place on April 14, 2015 and then on September 28, 2015.
More Articles to Read:
UFO Sightings: Witness Spotted Mysterious Flying Saucer Over a Guernsey College - [READ]
2014 Asteroid Eclipse: Huge Asteroid 163 Erigone Eclipses Bright Star Regulus on March 19 and 20, How to Best View - [READ]
2014 Comet Jacques: SONEAR Team in Brazil Spots New Comet C/2014 E2, Closest Approach to the Sun to Occur on June 29 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install