Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 4/1/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | April 1, 2014 10:56 AM EST
US MORNING REPORT
In US economic data, the Chicago Purchasing Management Index fell from 59.8 to 55.9 in March - a seven month low. Federal Reserve Chair Yellen gave a speech on Monday strongly defending the Fed´s policy of low interest rates and bond-buying. Yellen said the ´´extraordinary´´ commitment to stimulus will be needed for some time, saying there is ´´considerable´´ slack in the economy and labour market. Yellen suggested that the ´´view is widely shared by my fellow policy-makers at the Fed´´.
US Federal Reserve Vice Chair Janet Yellen testifies during a Senate hearing (Reuters).
European shares were mixed on Monday as speculation of fresh stimulus measures from the ECB supported initial sentiment. Italian mid-tier banks were among the top gainers on signs of a boost in capital and increased foreign investment. However end of quarter rebalancing triggered a minor sell-off in late trade. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.1% with the UK FTSE down 0.3%, while the German Dax lost 0.3%. Mining shares were mixed in London trade with shares in BHP Billiton down by 0.4% while Rio Tinto rose by 1.8% higher.
US sharemarkets rose on Monday after Fed Chair Yellen calmed concerns about an earlier than anticipated rate hike. Cyclical stocks linked to growth led the gains. The Nasdaq Biotech index jumped 3%. The Dow Jones index closed higher by 134 points or 0.8% with the S&P 500 up by 0.8% while the Nasdaq rose by 43 points or 1%. Over the quarter the Dow Jones rose by 0.7%, with the S&P 500 up 1.3% while the Nasdaq rose 0.5%.
US treasury prices were mixed on Monday as Yellen´s dovish comments were offset against expectations of a better-than-expected employment report on Friday. US 2 year yields fell 3pts to 0.43% while US 10 year yields were flat at 2.73%.
Major currencies rallied against the greenback over the European and US sessions on Monday. The Euro rose from lows near US$1.3735 to US$1.3805 and ended US trade around US$1.3775. The Aussie dollar rose from lows near US92.20c to highs near US92.75c and was around US92.70c at the US close. And the Japanese yen eased from near 102.80 yen per US dollar to JPY103.40 and was near JPY103.20 at the US close.
World oil prices eased on Monday in a volatile session. News that Russia was withdrawing some troops on the Ukrainian border pressured the oil price. Brent crude fell by US29c or 0.3% to US$107.78 a barrel while US Nymex crude fell by US9c or 0.1% to US$101.58 a barrel. Over the quarter Nymex rose by 3.2%.
Base metal prices were mixed on the London Metal Exchange on Monday with copper (down 0.5%) leading the declines. Nickel managed to gain 1.2%. The gold price fell on Monday with the Comex futures quote down by US$10 an ounce to US$1,283.80 per ounce. Over the quarter gold rose by 6.8%. Iron ore rose by $4.50 to US$116.80 a tonne on Monday but was down 13% over the quarter.
Ahead: In Australia the PMI and the RP Data-Rismark house price index are released. The Reserve Bank meets to decide on interest rates. In the US, the ISM manufacturing index and construction spending figures are released.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]