Ryan Seacrest Company Losses in Patent Battle With BlackBerry Over iPhone Case
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 1, 2014 10:49 AM EST
After being almost crushed by so many negative news the past few months, Waterloo-based tech firm BlackBerry appears to be finally on a winning streak this week. After reporting a 64 per cent drop in its fourth quarter revenue on Friday , BlackBerry won a San Francisco court's nod for a preliminary injunction on the sales of Typo.
A woman speaks on her iPhone as she walks on a busy street in downtown Shanghai in this September 10, 2013 file photo. For all the hype, Apple Inc's long-awaited iPhone agreement with China Mobile Ltd may deliver little more than a fleeting revenue jolt for the U.S. giant. A deal with the world's largest mobile carrier, expected as early as this week, nets Apple 759 million potential new customers that could generate $3 billion in 2014 revenue, or nearly one-quarter of Apple's projected revenue growth in its current fiscal year. REUTERS/Aly Song/Files
Typo, owned by American Icon host Ryan Seacrest, sells a $99 iPhone keyboard case that looks like BlackBerry's keyboard case. BlackBerry filed a lawsuit against Typo in January, claiming that Typo breached its patent.
Typo insisted that the claim of BlackBerry is not valid since it had similar keyboard designs even before the Canadian firm had it patented in 1999.
Mr Seacrest has co-founded Typo and invested $1 million in the company.
Also on the same day, BlackBerry logged a $4.4 billion loss in Q3 and reported revenue of $976 million for Q4 fiscal 2014. It is the first time that the tech company reported revenue below $1 billion since 2007.
However, CEO John Chen saw the numbers as narrowing its loss and being on track to return to profitability for the following year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports