NBA Playoffs Race for the Last Spot: Hawks, Knicks, Cavs Battle in Eastern Conference’s 8th Seed
By James Patrick Quizon | April 1, 2014 3:53 AM EST
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is in the stretch run for the mad dash to the finish called the Playoffs. With a few games left out of 82 played in the regular season teams have (virtually) clinched some playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at New York Knicks
The squads which are already in and just waiting for the final positioning are the Indiana Pacers (52-22); Miami Heat (50-22); Toronto Raptors (42-31); and Chicago Bulls (41-32).
Teams which are still mathematically probable to be ousted but have one foot in the postseason are the Brooklyn Nets (39-33), Washington Wizards (38-35) and Charlotte Bobcats (35-38).
Those teams cover the first to seventh seeds in the conference and three teams—Atlanta Hawks, New York Knicks and the Cleveland Cavaliers are still in the running for the eighth and final postseason slot. (The Detroit Pistons are at 26-47 and still have a chance but they are the Pistons…)
Here’s a quick look the virtual three-team race for the 8th spot, the number of games left and the quality of opposition for the respective teams’ remaining schedule:
Battle for the 8th Seed – Eastern Conference
Atlanta Hawks (31-41)
Games Remaining – 10 left (7 home, 3 away) – vs. 76ers, vs. Bulls, vs. Cavaliers, @Pacers, vs. Pistons, vs. Celtics, @Nets, vs. Heat, vs. Charlotte, @Bucks
New York Knicks (31-43)
Games remaining – 8 left (4 home, 4 away): @Jazz, vs. Nets, vs. Wizards, @Heat, @Raptors, vs. Bulls, @Nets, vs. Raptors
Cleveland Cavaliers (30-45)
Games remaining – 7 left (4 home, 3 away): @Magic, @Hawks, vs. Bobcats, vs. Pistons, @Bucks, vs. Celtics, vs. Nets
Strength of Schedule – Game Analysis
The Hawks have what appears to be a friendlier schedule compared relative to the Cavs’ and Knicks’; they play seven of ten games at home with 10 left to play. Four of those games come against lottery-bound squads (Philadelphia, Detroit, Boston and Milwaukee). They do get tested with road games against playoffs-destined squads Brooklyn and Indiana plus a trip to the defending champions’ home floor.
The crucial game will come April 4 when they face off with the Cavaliers, which has seven games left in the regular season. Cleveland has two other road games—both against ran-on teams Orlando and Milwaukee. Without Kyrie Irving, the Cavs can take care of Detroit and Brooklyn at home. But can they hand the playoff squads Charlotte.
For the Knicks, the road to the playoffs is paved with bigger challenges. New York has eight games left and seven of which come against teams currently in the playoff picture. This includes a game versus the Heat in Miami; the Raptors in Toronto; and the Nets in Brooklyn.
Who will take the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference?
Prediction: Atlanta has lost six in a row while New York has a tough schedule. Cleveland has a good opportunity to steal it too… Hawks will continue to fall, Cavs just don’t have enough left at this point of the season and at the end of the day, it’s the team with a star (Carmelo Anthony) that will step up late in the regular season and lead his team to the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales