NBA Playoffs Race for the Last Spot: Hawks, Knicks, Cavs Battle in Eastern Conference’s 8th Seed
By James Patrick Quizon | April 1, 2014 3:53 AM EST
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is in the stretch run for the mad dash to the finish called the Playoffs. With a few games left out of 82 played in the regular season teams have (virtually) clinched some playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at New York Knicks
The squads which are already in and just waiting for the final positioning are the Indiana Pacers (52-22); Miami Heat (50-22); Toronto Raptors (42-31); and Chicago Bulls (41-32).
Teams which are still mathematically probable to be ousted but have one foot in the postseason are the Brooklyn Nets (39-33), Washington Wizards (38-35) and Charlotte Bobcats (35-38).
Those teams cover the first to seventh seeds in the conference and three teams—Atlanta Hawks, New York Knicks and the Cleveland Cavaliers are still in the running for the eighth and final postseason slot. (The Detroit Pistons are at 26-47 and still have a chance but they are the Pistons…)
Here’s a quick look the virtual three-team race for the 8th spot, the number of games left and the quality of opposition for the respective teams’ remaining schedule:
Battle for the 8th Seed – Eastern Conference
Atlanta Hawks (31-41)
Games Remaining – 10 left (7 home, 3 away) – vs. 76ers, vs. Bulls, vs. Cavaliers, @Pacers, vs. Pistons, vs. Celtics, @Nets, vs. Heat, vs. Charlotte, @Bucks
New York Knicks (31-43)
Games remaining – 8 left (4 home, 4 away): @Jazz, vs. Nets, vs. Wizards, @Heat, @Raptors, vs. Bulls, @Nets, vs. Raptors
Cleveland Cavaliers (30-45)
Games remaining – 7 left (4 home, 3 away): @Magic, @Hawks, vs. Bobcats, vs. Pistons, @Bucks, vs. Celtics, vs. Nets
Strength of Schedule – Game Analysis
The Hawks have what appears to be a friendlier schedule compared relative to the Cavs’ and Knicks’; they play seven of ten games at home with 10 left to play. Four of those games come against lottery-bound squads (Philadelphia, Detroit, Boston and Milwaukee). They do get tested with road games against playoffs-destined squads Brooklyn and Indiana plus a trip to the defending champions’ home floor.
The crucial game will come April 4 when they face off with the Cavaliers, which has seven games left in the regular season. Cleveland has two other road games—both against ran-on teams Orlando and Milwaukee. Without Kyrie Irving, the Cavs can take care of Detroit and Brooklyn at home. But can they hand the playoff squads Charlotte.
For the Knicks, the road to the playoffs is paved with bigger challenges. New York has eight games left and seven of which come against teams currently in the playoff picture. This includes a game versus the Heat in Miami; the Raptors in Toronto; and the Nets in Brooklyn.
Who will take the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference?
Prediction: Atlanta has lost six in a row while New York has a tough schedule. Cleveland has a good opportunity to steal it too… Hawks will continue to fall, Cavs just don’t have enough left at this point of the season and at the end of the day, it’s the team with a star (Carmelo Anthony) that will step up late in the regular season and lead his team to the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers