Arsenal FC News: Wenger Believes ‘Courage’ was Key to City Draw
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 11:06 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes that "courage" determined his side's fate against Manchester City on Saturday, wherein they were able to fight back and secure a 1-1 draw after conceding a goal in the first-half.
It’s a real courage, still to be available when you are insecure, to want the ball when your confidence is not there." Arsene Wenger
"It's a real courage, still to be available when you are insecure, to want the ball when your confidence is not there," Wenger told The Telegraph.
"We have shown we can fight, that we can be united and we can respond to adversity."
The Gunners were going through the lowest point of their campaign before the fixture against City as Chelsea handed them a 6-0 shellacking, while wasting an impending win against Swansea with a Mathieu Flamini own-goal in injury time.
Nevertheless, the French tactician was pleased with how his men performed in front of the home-crowd, which was a test of character for them.
"We have leaders. We have gone through an absolute nightmare, we have gone through a storm. It is difficult to protect the players from that. The critics come very quick, fast, very hard. The only way you deal with it is to respond in the next game like we did," he added.
"You go through a nightmare at Chelsea where you think you have not even a chance to play the game. On top of that, in the last second, we score an own goal in the game after. It has been very bad and as well very positive because it is always an opportunity to show you have mental strength."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People