Liverpool FC News: Reds’ Confidence Outweighs Pressure, Says Rodgers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 10:32 PM EST
Liverpool have overtaken rivals Chelsea to occupy the top spot of the Premier League table with a 4-0 win against Tottenham on Sunday, which left Brendan Rodgers to believe that his squad's superb confidence will outweigh any pressure brought about by the title race.
I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope.” - Brendan Rodgers
The Reds have not lost a game in the Premiership since going down 2-1 in the hands of the Blues in late December and are two points clear from the latter, while Manchester City are two points further behind but with two games in hand.
"I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope," Rodgers told Sky Sports.
"We work to deal with pressure, to get on the ball. The players know 100 per cent if they make a mistake I will take the blame."
"I didn't see any nerves. I thought the composure, calmness on the ball, the positioning of the team was outstanding."
The Merseyside mentor feels that great team chemistry worked to their advantage, with each unique individual characteristic from players complementing others around them.
"We have a wonderful mix: world-class players, young talents from Europe and South America and a load of young British talent here who show that technically they can play and tactically their ideas are very good and they can operate at this level without any fear," he said.
"You see the confidence, there is no anxiety, no pressure. It was great to watch."
However, Rodgers emphasised that he is not thinking of winning the elusive Premier League title yet, and would like to take on matters one step at a time.
"The dream is for our supporters, they want to win the title - but it is not in my thinking, my thinking it is to prepare the team and perform well and if we do that we can continue to win games and then we can see where that takes it," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People