Liverpool FC News: Reds’ Confidence Outweighs Pressure, Says Rodgers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 10:32 PM EST
Liverpool have overtaken rivals Chelsea to occupy the top spot of the Premier League table with a 4-0 win against Tottenham on Sunday, which left Brendan Rodgers to believe that his squad's superb confidence will outweigh any pressure brought about by the title race.
I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope.” - Brendan Rodgers
The Reds have not lost a game in the Premiership since going down 2-1 in the hands of the Blues in late December and are two points clear from the latter, while Manchester City are two points further behind but with two games in hand.
"I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope," Rodgers told Sky Sports.
"We work to deal with pressure, to get on the ball. The players know 100 per cent if they make a mistake I will take the blame."
"I didn't see any nerves. I thought the composure, calmness on the ball, the positioning of the team was outstanding."
The Merseyside mentor feels that great team chemistry worked to their advantage, with each unique individual characteristic from players complementing others around them.
"We have a wonderful mix: world-class players, young talents from Europe and South America and a load of young British talent here who show that technically they can play and tactically their ideas are very good and they can operate at this level without any fear," he said.
"You see the confidence, there is no anxiety, no pressure. It was great to watch."
However, Rodgers emphasised that he is not thinking of winning the elusive Premier League title yet, and would like to take on matters one step at a time.
"The dream is for our supporters, they want to win the title - but it is not in my thinking, my thinking it is to prepare the team and perform well and if we do that we can continue to win games and then we can see where that takes it," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]