Liverpool FC News: Reds’ Confidence Outweighs Pressure, Says Rodgers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 10:32 PM EST
Liverpool have overtaken rivals Chelsea to occupy the top spot of the Premier League table with a 4-0 win against Tottenham on Sunday, which left Brendan Rodgers to believe that his squad's superb confidence will outweigh any pressure brought about by the title race.
I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope.” - Brendan Rodgers
The Reds have not lost a game in the Premiership since going down 2-1 in the hands of the Blues in late December and are two points clear from the latter, while Manchester City are two points further behind but with two games in hand.
"I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope," Rodgers told Sky Sports.
"We work to deal with pressure, to get on the ball. The players know 100 per cent if they make a mistake I will take the blame."
"I didn't see any nerves. I thought the composure, calmness on the ball, the positioning of the team was outstanding."
The Merseyside mentor feels that great team chemistry worked to their advantage, with each unique individual characteristic from players complementing others around them.
"We have a wonderful mix: world-class players, young talents from Europe and South America and a load of young British talent here who show that technically they can play and tactically their ideas are very good and they can operate at this level without any fear," he said.
"You see the confidence, there is no anxiety, no pressure. It was great to watch."
However, Rodgers emphasised that he is not thinking of winning the elusive Premier League title yet, and would like to take on matters one step at a time.
"The dream is for our supporters, they want to win the title - but it is not in my thinking, my thinking it is to prepare the team and perform well and if we do that we can continue to win games and then we can see where that takes it," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4