Liverpool FC News: Reds’ Confidence Outweighs Pressure, Says Rodgers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 10:32 PM EST
Liverpool have overtaken rivals Chelsea to occupy the top spot of the Premier League table with a 4-0 win against Tottenham on Sunday, which left Brendan Rodgers to believe that his squad's superb confidence will outweigh any pressure brought about by the title race.
I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope.” - Brendan Rodgers
The Reds have not lost a game in the Premiership since going down 2-1 in the hands of the Blues in late December and are two points clear from the latter, while Manchester City are two points further behind but with two games in hand.
"I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope," Rodgers told Sky Sports.
"We work to deal with pressure, to get on the ball. The players know 100 per cent if they make a mistake I will take the blame."
"I didn't see any nerves. I thought the composure, calmness on the ball, the positioning of the team was outstanding."
The Merseyside mentor feels that great team chemistry worked to their advantage, with each unique individual characteristic from players complementing others around them.
"We have a wonderful mix: world-class players, young talents from Europe and South America and a load of young British talent here who show that technically they can play and tactically their ideas are very good and they can operate at this level without any fear," he said.
"You see the confidence, there is no anxiety, no pressure. It was great to watch."
However, Rodgers emphasised that he is not thinking of winning the elusive Premier League title yet, and would like to take on matters one step at a time.
"The dream is for our supporters, they want to win the title - but it is not in my thinking, my thinking it is to prepare the team and perform well and if we do that we can continue to win games and then we can see where that takes it," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS