Liverpool FC News: Reds’ Confidence Outweighs Pressure, Says Rodgers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 10:32 PM EST
Liverpool have overtaken rivals Chelsea to occupy the top spot of the Premier League table with a 4-0 win against Tottenham on Sunday, which left Brendan Rodgers to believe that his squad's superb confidence will outweigh any pressure brought about by the title race.
I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope.” - Brendan Rodgers
The Reds have not lost a game in the Premiership since going down 2-1 in the hands of the Blues in late December and are two points clear from the latter, while Manchester City are two points further behind but with two games in hand.
"I have said all along, I feel that when there are pressure situations the players can cope," Rodgers told Sky Sports.
"We work to deal with pressure, to get on the ball. The players know 100 per cent if they make a mistake I will take the blame."
"I didn't see any nerves. I thought the composure, calmness on the ball, the positioning of the team was outstanding."
The Merseyside mentor feels that great team chemistry worked to their advantage, with each unique individual characteristic from players complementing others around them.
"We have a wonderful mix: world-class players, young talents from Europe and South America and a load of young British talent here who show that technically they can play and tactically their ideas are very good and they can operate at this level without any fear," he said.
"You see the confidence, there is no anxiety, no pressure. It was great to watch."
However, Rodgers emphasised that he is not thinking of winning the elusive Premier League title yet, and would like to take on matters one step at a time.
"The dream is for our supporters, they want to win the title - but it is not in my thinking, my thinking it is to prepare the team and perform well and if we do that we can continue to win games and then we can see where that takes it," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements